Arsenal vs Manchester Zzzzzzzzzz…ity.

January 6, 2011 24 Comments by Sian

Last night Arsenal were at their typical Arsenal best. We dominated posession and play and skills and crafty little one-twos, sneaky little backpasses and more than our fair share of “Ooooooh that was tasty!” moments.

And of course we had next to no end product. We hit the post twice, hit the crossbar once and forced Joe Hart into making an excellent save in the second half. If a win was based on how well the team had actually performed last night then we battered City but unfortunately no, it’s based on goals and goals were something a little out of our reach yesterday.

Describing City as a team last night would be a little bit misleading. I’d say they were more a wall of muscle with an allegedly homesick gargoyle up front. Which is a bit mean because I actually really like Tevez, the big old wind-up merchant. But that was a nicely flowing sentence, so I’m going with it.

I’m not going to complain about our performance at all, except to say that I didn’t think RvP was very good last night. I thought our midfield worked brilliantly, Koscielny was on form once again and, well, had Manchester City actually tried to get anywhere near the goal, I’m sure Fabianski would have been standing there catching everything that came his way and screaming at them ”All day long, ALL DAY LONG.” In my head, Fabianski is a cockney.

I came out of the stadium absolutely steaming that a team of players had come to a match in January, in a league they are not at the top of, and settled for a draw. Joe Hart, whom I love (Gooner), was wasting time from about 40 minutes in. They didn’t have a single shot on goal. Any enjoyable action on the field last night came from Arsenal and Arsenal alone. But I’m over it because thanks be to Jesus, I don’t have to watch them ever again this season.

The argument in defence of City’s defence is “Well, going to a place like the Emirates and salvaging a draw is a good thing”… which is frankly bollocks. Salvaging a draw is a great thing if you’re in April and desperately trying to keep your side up. What do City plan to do, draw their way to glory?

Another thing that made me laugh last night was all the ‘neutrals’ having a go at Arsenal for being insulted that Manchester City had brought with them a game of utter toss. “Defending is what they do, and if that made it an ugly game, Arsenal should be blamed for not breaking them down.”

Hang on a minute, Amnesio. Were you not exactly the same crowd complaining that the referee had made the match at their stadium (near a big Asda, so it is), dull and one-sided by (rightly) sending off a player early on when we played them in October? So you were wishing to complain that your jolly exciting afternoon of football had been wrecked by the referee then but perfectly happy to to enjoy the fact that last night City ruined what could have been an excellent game by parking their fat-arsed bus in front of goal for ninety-four minutes? For those defending how well City carried out their masterplan last night, weren’t you the ones complaining about how dull the World Cup was? Would you enjoy it if every side in the Top Six adopted this attitude?

Planks.

If this way of football works for Manchester City, then good for them. It does work so far. In the early 90s Arsenal were the ones booed off to chants of “Boring boring Arsenal” (not that I remember, I was crawling)… so we can surely see where they’re coming from. But the difference is that world-class players weren’t queuing up to get their hands on a contract with us, knowing they’d be on a wage that could build castles. If City aren’t going to use their strikers, why bother with them? Keep with this theory of football, cool. But what’s the point paying all that money to all those strikers if they’re going to do sod all?

But anyway, we stuck at it. Our crime was indeed the inability to break them down, but my God we played right until the end. At one point the referee actually had a go at Clichy for trying to play the advantage given to Arsenal as quickly as he could in about the 87th minute. Meanwhile City players were gesturing for the whistle as soon as 90 minutes were up and got away with dawdling on and off the pitch when substitutions were made. The guy on the tannoy even accompanied one subsitution announcement with “… eventually”.

The other talking point of the game was the sending offs for Bacary Sagna and Someone-or-other Zabaleta. They did indeed look like fighting rhinos, and Bacary’s face was actually a bit scary. What I don’t understand is how a man who got stood on last week and didn’t react at all, reacted so angrily this time. Bowyer got his punishment, so it’s not like keeping quiet about it means they get away with it. My belief is that Zabaleta said something nasty to him but we’ll never know as I don’t think Bac would ever come out and say it. I can imagine many players on our team reacting like he did yesterday… except Bac. I’m sure Jack, Cesc, Song, Nasri or RvP would have reacted as badly as Bac did. But I never would have put Bac on that list, so it’s a bit odd.

I have so many tales of how lovely Bacary is, and know so many other people who have similar ones, so it’s even odder. But anyway, that’s three games out for him now, and given that he’s played in everything for us recently, that’s no bad thing.

We have Leeds at home on Saturday. Even though Arsenal have been accused of not giving the competition the recognition it deserves, I’ve always loved the FA Cup. The first match I ever remember watching from start to finish while dressed in red and white was from the FA Cup in 1998. Apparently he-of-the-greatest-name-in-the-squad Sanchez Watt has been OKed to play for Leeds even though he’s on loan from us at the moment. You Watt, you Watt, you Watt you f***in’ Watt? Hope it doesn’t prove to be a dodgy decision and that it’s a good game.

Anyway, with loads of teams dropping points last night, the bore-fest that was our match turned out to not be the worst thing in the world. ONWARD.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

RVP wasn’t moving enough last night, dragging defenders around like he should. Chamakh would have been a better option, IMO. Although had that rasping shot gone in, I wouldn’t be saying that.

We used to be boring Arsenal but we’d be 1-0 up and boring and win. Citeh pulled off their game plan well – I guess we failed to punich them in first ten minutes before they had a chance to organise their asses.

We were unlucky though. No wonder Tevez hates it there, poor sod.

2. kipp9

I can’t find it in video form but I could swear last night that Mancini said that that is how you play at the Emirates to ensure you get something from the game.

Somebody better go back in time and tell West Brom.

Kosc did well but I think the kudos is most deserved for Alex Song (my MotM) his stats were so impressive last night 72/80 passes, 6/9 tackles, 4 interceptions NO FOULS.

Still it was dire stuff from Man City and a 0-0 was what I confidently predicted at work. Boy, I wished i was wrong.

Thought ManCity ruined the game. If that is what their supporters have to suffer every week, no wonder there aren’t that many. The game I watched last night wasn’t football and if that’s a sign of the time then it’s time I stopped watching.

Loved your description of poor old Tevez but like you I can’t dislike him. Also loved your bit about Bachary Sagna. I reckon there must’ve been some kind of racial abuse because I can’t see him getting that riled for anything else.

The only positive from last night’s game is that they probably won’t be back ’til next season.

Keep up the good work!

4. EMK

I think RVP was great last night, he ouzes class, if he had scored he would have been lauded now everybody is blaming him. He worked hiss ass off and is getting there. Chamakh will never ever of the same class as RVP don’t even go there….

• sianyr

@EMK Don’t think I said he was…

5. kipp9

Oh and Theo was borderline useless. Zabaleta coped admirably well but when your back line is on the edge of the penalty area you can’t really get skinned too often.

For the lack of Citeh’s attacking intent the guile of Arshavin may have been more appropriate.

Excellent stuff. You really should do this for a living if you aren’t already. Your writing is as entertaining as Arsenal’s play was last night, but with a difference. You have a better result – another great post in an award-winning blog. Arsenal has…a single measly point and one of our best players enjoying a most illustrious campaign up to now, out for three games. Not the stuff of champions.
    Our success in 2011 is now seemingly based more on hope than substance. The substance needed to grind out 3 points against an ugly team playing uglier football.
    Let’s hope we see some this weekend.

• sianyr

@1NilToTheArsenal Thank you, no I don’t do it for a living but I wish I did! I don’t think Bac being out is such a terrible thing… League Cup (yes semi-final, but even so), and FA Cup both count, so it could have been worse. He needs a rest anyway. Thank you for commenting!

7. Reznuk

Great blog again Sian – very entertaining.

Have to say although we didn’t score – I love that Arsenal side when they play with passion and desire, oh and skill of course. Last night they were great. City looked and played like a frightened league two side up to the big city for the first time.

8. EMK

Sian, you didn’t. It was a reaction to you saying that you didn’t think RVP was very good last night and David in comments stating Chamakh would have been better suited. I disagree that’s all. Keep up the writing, nice to hear from another girl who loves the gunners!

• sianyr

@EMK I see, sorry I missed that! Well Nicklas wasn’t very effective when he came on last night (on the wing), but I just think RvP has had much better matches than yesterday.

9. larubia

You are so brilliant, woman. Love the paragraph about the ‘neutrals’, spot on!

10. Uncle K

Even Andy Gray said it looked like a training match
    ‘Attack v defence’.I wore a sky-blue t-shirt to work
    yesterday, without thinking and had to sit in the
    baking hot pub watching the game with jacket
    zipped to the top!! Bored AND uncomfortable..Great
    read,as ever.

• sianyr

@UncleK I had wet foot thanks to a leaking Ugg, so I was uncomfy too!

@EMK who is David!? LOL, anyway I just think Chamakh works hard to hold the ball up and moves around quite intelligently. Those defenders looked to comfortable at times. RVP was giving our midfield very little option but to push on themselves, that’s all.

I felt Chamakh would have suited that game more last night, that’s all. I’m probably wrong.

12. El Greco

Good Blog, Siany – enjoyable reading!
    The way Man City played, with their multi-trillion pound team, showed great respect for our 100 pound team.
    However, as negative as they were, Man City set out their game plan and achieved their objective – we didn’t!

Keep up the great work!

• sianyr

@ElGreco Apparently each of our shots last night cost something like (in terms of the money spent in transfer windows) £900,000. A lot, but nothing compared to City’s… something in the region of £31,000,000 per shot! Thanks for commenting! x

13. Joppa

What if we draw them at home in the 4th round of the FA Cup providing both get through. I take it you will be going?

• sianyr

@Joppa That’s a good point. If they bring that sort of game with them again, I’d advise Gooners to bring a book or something.

Don’t agree with all this ‘They got what they came for’ crap. Defending for 90 minutes is a dangerous game and expected from teams lower down the league. Where is Citeh’s ambition and were their fans really pleased with the way they went about it? Brill blog again, Siany.

Ick!!!! Citeh…ick!!!! As my buddy said watching the match, Mancini should have given him and 10 of his buddies $500 million and though he admits they would have lost by an insane margin, it would have been the most entertaining game ever!!! That and we would have gotten 3 points,a win-win all round I think we would all agree :) great blog as usual Sian, keep it up!!

Oh and I think I speak for all wham I say thank your family for moving back to London and stopping you from growing up a Leeds fan!!! Glad you liked the video.

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by V!O and others. V!O said: RT @SianyMacalarny: NEW BLOG: Arsenal vs Manchester Zzzzzzz… ity. http://bit.ly/dKGijz [...]

2. [...] have very little time in which to prepare themselves for this year’s Emirates test (read my matchblog from the last time they snoozed us all into a draw last time)… however, given they have about 296 first team players, I doubt this will be a [...]