Arsenal 2 – 0 Wolves… nice.

February 13, 2011 15 Comments by Sian

So, 2-0 and a result and performance we very much needed after last weekend’s soul-drainer. RvP showed why Wenger has kept faith in him despite the chocolatiness of his wee ankles, Jack Wilshere was superb (the world is still round, the sky is still blue), and no one got injured.

All in all, a perfect start to the week of hugeness ahead. Our mid-week opposition Barcelona also slipped up in their quest of world, Milky Way and general galaxy domination (what? that’s what it says in the papers…) by drawing away to Sporting Gijon yesterday. Hee.

I know not much of Sporting Gijon except that they’re about 12th in the table, are sporty, and have a name you cannot say without sounding like a donkey. They reckoned they rested many of their players ahead of our match but I still saw plenty of star-spangled faces up there by full-time, so a nice little knock to the confidence will have been great preparation for their trip to London.

Manchester United still won, but City lost so we still seem to be the only team contesting for top spot. On Match of the Day last night they were saying the same. I know, I fell over too! As has been said a hundred times before, we can only focus on what we can do, so it’s up to others to slip up now. And they will. I believe that they will.

I’m sorry my posting at weekends has been so crap. I’m at that stage of university where I have 517 deadlines per week plusĀ I never know when will be the best time to post. Sundays seem like a slow day, but Mondays seem so far away when the match has been a 3pm Saturday kick-off. Any suggestions? I’m stillĀ posting after every match but this time of year is a bastard for deadlines.

All the other blogs will have been doing an excellent job informing everyone of what went down yesterday so there’s little point me doing the same. Instead, I’ll post again on Tuesday with a spot of Arsenal Positivity, because I know that by then we will need it.

Some may call me deluded, I merely call me hopeful! Until then, keep the faith guys. This time round, it’s going to be different.

1. zamafonz

nice

2. Peetay

*Believe*…..

3. odai

Yours is a blog I enjoy reading but with so many other blogs posting after the match or thereabouts it’ll be nice to have one around during the fan ‘downtime’. I’m also in Uni so know about the deadline mania and can only say good luck to you and you have an ardent reader in me (the only contribution I can offer)

Sian, I think I speak for all when I say do not worry about the “late” posting, we just like how you write and how you are always supportive and positive when you do post. Am absolutely loving RVP these last 6 weeks or so and think Barca must be dreading facing him! Nasari may be fit(impact sub?) and Theo scares the hell out of them with his pace. God it’s mouth-watering isn’t it?

Look forward to reading your post on Tuesday Sian. Have to say myself and my friends here in NYC are genuinely counting the minutes until Wednesday :) and will need some level headed post to curtail our fantasies of a 6-0 nothing thrashing of Barca!! Anyways, best of luck with Uni and it’s mad deadlines :)

Keeping the faith across the pond :)

Thanks Irishgray! It looks as though Nasri has been passed as fit, but it might be better if he’s used as an impact sub like you say rather than risking losing him again by playing him too soon. Very excited for tomorrow, I’ll try to take some photos as well!

5. Girl Gunner

Hey sian,i agree with irishgray,your blog rocks!! Goodluck on your deadlines,looking forward to your tuesday blog! I believe we will show barca what we’re about!!

Thanks Girl Gunner :)

6. sandra

Barca have often underperformed right after international fixtures-they comprise most of the Spanish squad and their game against Colombia was not an easy one. Colombia have good physical players and Spain struggled to beat them 1-0. They’re still suffering the traditional post-world cup hangover that afflicts every national team that wins that tournament.

There were 3 key players Pep left out of the game against Gijon: Puyol, Pedro & Busquets. Puyol is injured so he had no choice. Puyol won’t play against us on Wednesday for that reason. He saved Pedro & Busquets for Wednesday.

Except that he had to give in and put on Pedro as a sub later in the game because Barca were struggling.

What’s important to note is that — as zonalmarking tweeted — Barca have failed to win this season when both Puyol & Busquets have not played. Their substitutes Mascherano and Milito were very poor on Saturday. We’ll see Milito play on Wednesday.

I have to say I’m quite enjoying the post-WC hangover after all the excessive woop-dee-dooing over them throughout the summer. I’m just a bitter England fan, but nevertheless! Puyol being out is handy, though he was out for the last leg last season, hopefully we make more of a go of it than we did then.

Nice to hear to hear from you anytime, Sian.

Our friend in the Big Apple, irishgray does indeed speak for us with his sentiments. Just keep posting wherever and whenever, and we’ll keep reading and replying (wherever/whenever).

Sandra’s pointed out some interesting facts – thanks for that. We’ll grasp at every straw we can get.

Our starting XI should feel little pressure ahead of Wednesday and the oddsmakers. Except to real Gooners, we are huge underdogs to the rest of the world. We have nothing to lose because to most neutrals it’s already a lost cause. We need to go out there and leave it all on the pitch. If we keep a high line against them they’ll rip us apart as we did Wolves. We need to mix defensive possession with counter-attack. We’ll never park the bus, but keeping the ball will be everything.

As for last Saturday, apart from missed opportunities, it was everything we could have hoped for and exactly what we needed to see before Barca. Our 2nd by RvP was as classic an Arsenal goal as we’ll ever see (way better than Rooney’s ridiculous bicycle kick), and is the prefect set-up for Wednesday. COME ON GUNNERS, and good luck to you Sian, and anyone in the study crunch.

1NTTA

My readers really are the nicest on the internet! I think last year we gave them a little too much respect and were already partly defeated before we’d even kicked off. Something that is important is the presence of players like RvP, Szczesny, (hopefully) Nasri and Jack… all of whom I think want to win as badly as all of us. I just hope we put up a right good fight!

8. Arselona

Love your blog, found it on Arseblog that I also love. Am retired so start my day reading you two. Only problem is you dont post every day. Now I know why and am happy to to say post when you like, I will read it. Will be more patient now when waiting for a post! Keep it up and good luck with University.

Thank you! I wish I could post more often and I will make an effort to, it’s just a bit mad at the moment. Thanks for continuing to read though and for leaving such a nice comment.

9. Falklands Gooner

Hey.

I just wanted to congratulate you on the blog, I follow you on twitter and I find your blog and writing a lot easier to read than much of the doom mongering it’s so easy to find among our fans.

I’m personally not expecting a win on Wednesday but I’m hoping we at least look stronger than we did the last time around. I feel like we’re developing as a side but in the past few seasons such feelings have been followed by rather rude awakenings against the likes of Utd and Barca.

Keep up the good work!

Hi and thanks for commenting! You’re right, there is far too much doom and gloom on Twitter. It’s a place to avoid post-match even if we win, sometimes! I actually am expecting a win, as I think the away leg will be the tougher test… but would you expect any less of me? :)