And then there was one for the Arsenal.

March 13, 2011 31 Comments by Sian

Ugh.

So, we’re now out of the FA Cup as well as the Carling Cup and the Champions League. It’s probably worth pointing out that this little anecdote that was trotted out over and over again throughout the match is a bit misleading. Yes we’d lost our place in two trophies in the space of two weeks. But every other bugger besides the eventual winners had been slung out of the first particular trophy LONG ago. Then we ended our run in the Champions League by being kicked out by the team constantly referred to as the best team ever, who will probably go on to win the whole damn thing.

But today’s FA Cup boot-out was not to the best team ever and nor was it due to one freak slip-up in the closing minutes of the game. We were, I think, the better team throughout. United had about three chances on goal and scored two of them. Meanwhile down the other end of the field, Edwin van der Sar was a hero for his team mates and completely kept them in it. We started well, quietened down a bit in the middle and then looked stronger as subs were made and the introduction of Aaron Ramsey, Marouane Chamakh and Tomas Rosicky occurred. But, two opportunites for the home side and we were done. Sound familiar?

The first was by one of their twins, haven’t a clue which, but one of them. The second was from Wayne Rooney of all people. During the World Cup, being all proud and English, I decided he was OK. Then all his nasty little secrets started coming out like pus in a spot, he put United through the wringer pondering his future (I mean, not that I’m fond of them or anything but come on what a knob)… and it was suddenly OK to think he was horrid again. Oh yeah and he scored against us, again, today. There was one lovely little moment when Jack Wilshere totally did him over and it was like the poetic introduction of the great new lion-like England team against the crap, balding losers who couldn’t beat Algeria and criticised the fans for having a go having spent a fortune getting themselves there to support them.

But unfortunately Jack, who was once again great, was on the losing side. You do have to feel sorry for him for always playing well and wanting a win while all his team mates potter around like it’s a training match, but to be fair, he’s 19. It’s sad that his elder team mates don’t get it as much as he does, but we know it’s going to happen for him eventually. You can’t demand or expect trophies at 19. He’s kind of like this year’s Cesc. The one with the desire and the get-up-and-go watching the likes of Diaby wander around with their minds apparently elsewhere. Man, I hope we don’t have a summer of Luton Town chasing Jack, saying he has Luton DNA and just wants to go home!

We had more possession, we had more shots on target and we just couldn’t do anything with any of it. The fact that van der Sar had a great game was obviously a factor but you still have to question how they made the most of their few chances and we didn’t.

Then, in my opinion, came the worst bit. I can’t remember exactly how it came about and I’m not exactly in a hurry to remember, but Johan Djourou ended up with a dislocated shoulder caused by a crash of bodies in our penalty area as Almunia, Sagna and he all tried (successfully) to prevent further damage to our side of the scoreline. His season is now over, which is a borderline nightmare. We’ll now have to finish it off with a partnership of Koscielny and Squillaci in place of Djourou who has frankly been excellent all season. Piss, balls and bollocks.

It was all very Arsenal. When you’ve got fans of other teams feeling sorry for us, you know it’s bad. It’s like there’s some kind of curse on us or something. Things go so well for us only for… THIS to happen. Again.

No double for us this year. But of course the league is still there for the taking. We’ve got a week off now, while Manchester United have to go on and play their Champions League match in between now and their next league match. Look at yourselves, Arsenal. Look at your choices.

I still think we’re going to win it. Cue groans and heckles and people dialing the looney bin. It’s so within our reach. We’re Arsenal, so could easily mess things up, but… we could still do it. And I still think we will. If we don’t and I’m wrong, well we’ve all been wrong before and got over that. But when things aren’t going your way I fail to see the purpose in crawling up into a ball and letting bad things happen. If you don’t think you can do it, you probably can’t. What would we do if we supported a non-league side or a mid-table team who’ve not won anything in actual decades? Give up? I fear some would. I know Arsenal are Arsenal and we expect more from them, but imagine the heaps of shit we could be lumbered with. Would you love them more for winning a trophy? It will be an amazing day the day we get back to winning ways (and we WILL, even if it’s clear things need to be fixed for this to happen), but would it affect the way you feel about them?

Poor result today. Horrible consequences. These bloody league games get more and more important the more the season goes on. If the injury gods could stop hurting us, please, they might be winnable! And I think we can all agree that there are certain players who simply no longer cut the mustard. But we can only focus on the league ahead now.

IN OTHER, BLOG-RELATED NEWS… Yesterday, ’From a girl who loves the Gunners’ turned one year old. It’s silly how things have progressed over the past year. I started my Twitter account bored at work one day and wanting to chat with my friend without being obvious and texting on my phone all day. Then the blog I’d started when I was at college became increasingly Arsenal-orientated. Then I moved the blog to an actual football site. Then it won an award. Then it joined the Arseblog network. It’s all been mad, given that it started out as a “Well, the phones are terribly quiet today. I wanna chat with Lauren! I’m going to join Twitter!” kind of decision.

I know I’m being a ninny, and I’ll be over myself by morning time, but lately I’ve been getting a bit of abuse that seems a bit misplaced given I’m just another supporter with no extra knowledge/contacts/inside info than anyone else. It’s weird logging into Twitter sometimes and finding personal insults and death wishes aimed at me when I really am just another supporter. Last night it all went a bit turbo-charged and nasty, in a week where the abuse has been a bit extra. I don’t ask you to agree with me. If you don’t like it, unfollow and ignore me. There’s no need to get nasty. Lots of others take abuse really well, but I don’t understand why some fans aim all their shit at others just because they themselves are happy to lie down in a hole and think the worst about everything. If you disagree with my opinion, remember all of this is just the opinion of one supporter. Where would be the fun if we all thought the same thing?

That said, I love this blog, I love writing it and everyone who contributes to it by reading or commenting. It’s been a cool year for FAGWLTG and… well, me. So thanks, everyone, for continuing to read it. You awesomos far outweigh the the horrids. Group hug!

Obviously the one big disclaimer of this blog should be that none of it really matters when you look at the bigger picture, and at events unfolding around the world right now. It all gives you a healthy dose of perspective.

But there we have it. Bit of a pathetic day all round really. Here’s hoping Arsenal can ‘push on’ and focus on the one target for the season they actually have left.

1. El Greco

Hey Sian,
    thanks for your honest account and, yes, in the final analysis there are more important issues than Arsenal winning trophies, and anyone who reads your blog should do so because of your personal take on all things Arsenal. By all means people can vent (it makes for good discussion/reading) and they do so, but no one has the right to be abusive.
    I look forward to your continued comments…….

2. Ansgar

Hey Sian,
    first of all, Happy Birthday to your blog. One year gone, plenty to come I hope.
    Always love reading your posts and regarding Twitter: I don’t really get people just using it to shout abuse and insult every other person around to bring a group of people (like supporters) in discredit. People just don’t know how to behave any more…

I’m ashamed to say that I switched off the TV after 70 mins to go to a birthday party, so I didn’t see the Djourou nightmare. Good lord, it’s so typical Arsenal, isn’t it?
    With all those injuries it is still nice to see us in 2nd spot. That’s all that matters I think.

And I so love Wilshere for his attitude. I repeat myself, but instead of a midfield three of Diaby, Denilson and Wilshere I’d just go for a Wilshere, Wilshere, Wilshere midfield. Technique, attitude and tackling, just brilliant.

Love the blog, congrats again.

Ansgar, from Germany

Siany, your blog is brilliant. Some people are ‘glass half full’ and some are ‘glass half empty’. I love your optimism and get pissed off with the doom-mongers, but they have their opinion and that’s fine. Those who get abusive just have to be ignored as it’s far easier to insult and abuse than it is to argue sensibly. Don’t lose your enthusiasm because of those who take the easy way out. The title is still up for grabs – come on you boys in red and white!

4. Rache

Siany,

You make valid points in your blog today.

Could you explain one thing to me though, you say everybody should support how they want, and you should be left with your opinions, which is exactly right btw, what I don’t understand from reading your twitter feed last night, is why you went out of your way to call another gooner a sad git, when they said nothing to you first?

Why did you not allow them their view without having to resort to name calling, very low class for me.

Would you class this as hypocritical? Or did I miss something?

You came out of it all looking much the poorer.

Hey ho we all move on.

Keep up the smart blogging, just take it easier on the Twitter.

Rache x

Rache,

Where? I’ve just been through it and I don’t see that. I tried to be positive, got a load of crap thrown at me so explained why and then said that if others don’t share that, it’s up to them. Then I saw someone saying how the likes of me were faking our support by being like this. I then explained MYSELF, and he bit back like I’d kicked him in the face. Which I thought was very immature of him. So I gave up. I won’t he explaining myself to anyone else.

Oh and please remember, that’s my personal twitter account. I have never claimed to be a blogger. Thanks for your comment.

• Rache

Siany,

I think we are talking about the same person, I read their feed, they never said anything to you, you were first to tweet them and call him a sad git or similar.

Why when he never said anything to you?

and why with the “bastard” word?

An intelligent girl like you should be honest enough to realise you messed that up.

Let others support how they want, now if he was the first to pick on you, then fair enough, but he was not.

Although he was totally aggressive in firing back, to which you handled with applomb, but still not sure why you put yourself in that position in the first place.

Let people give off steam, so what? It was generic and not aimed at you, clearly.

Best
        Rache

No no no. I wasn’t calling him a miserable bastard at all. (I assume it’s a him?) I was saying I was not going to BE a miserable bastard! I can see how he took it that way, which might explain the offended reaction. I saw it, and thought “No, I’m not going to sit here and have people saying things like that”. You’re right though, I should have left it. I see I have a blog post dedicated to me this morning. I’ve not read it, but I’d say he’s taking it a bit far now… Why am
          I still defending myself when there’s surely a whole gang of middle-aged men laying into me over there?

I get your point, and you’re right I shouldn’t have said anything. But I wasn’t having a go at him, I was defending my way of seeing things. Totally different.

• Rache

Ok well I saw it that way from the 2 feeds, sorry but it definately came across that way.

He is certainly not a negative gooner, just read his old blogs, you two are very positive and it’s crap for you to fight.

Makes much more sense now you have said that.

I am going to message him and get him to read these comments, I’m sure he got the wrong end of the stick like me.

Thanks, Rache, but this person was so bent out of shape by me doing EXACTLY what his/her blog post is doing (only without the insults, obviously) that I think his/her mind is well and truly made up. I’m OK with that though, like I said I write this blog because I love it. If people like it, that’s great. If not, they have a whole range of others to choose from.

And the abuse I refer to is nothing to do with that. If only you guys could see the messages I get! Thanks again.

Given the events of the past few weeks, I think it does you great credit that you wrote a blog at all. So disappointing!

In the short term, I don’t know what the answer is. All I know is that if I was AW, I would put the tea-lady on the team sheet ahead of Abou Diaby. She couldn’t do a worse job!

Keep being positive and ignore the abusers- they must have shit lives.

Happy Birthday and here’s to another year of great blogs. Up the Gunners!

6. Tony

Hi Sian

I love your positivity – was one of the 1st things I noticed when I started using Twitter a few weeks ago. It has seriously changed the way in which I think after a match and that says a lot cos I’ve followed Arsenal for 30+ yrs. I wouldnt say I was ever a negative person but reading your words after a match lifts me – I know I can’t be the only person who thinks this.

So……don’t ever change and be dragged into the swamp with the miserable bastards out there who only truly seem happen when Arsenal aren’t doing so well.

Take care.

7. White Ox

Happy birthday to AGWLTG blog, great work. Funny how these things snowball from not so lofty ambitions but your blog is truly excellent and your passion for the club unparalleled by most. You’re a must read for many now so please keep coming through with the gold.

So another bollocks day yesterday. We really do need to turn this around soon but it’s more than possible and I’ll be watching the run in with great interest. Would another trophy have me love Arsenal more? Not a chance, this is my club and I enjoy watching them regardless of the circumstances. That said, should Nick find a few of those important goals we know he can score and there’s a party at the Grove come May I’ll certainly be grinning from ear to ear. Come on lads, believe. We do!

8. shegunner

Horrible about the abuse from people! Mustn’t be anyone I follow as I’ve not seen it. Sorry. Hope they leave you alone.

The big thing for me that you asked was if we’d feel differently about the team if they won a trophy. That is the ultimate question. If you only love a team when it’s winning trophies, well, that’s like only loving your husband when he’s not sick, or your child when she gets A’s on her report card. So that makes you a pretty shallow bastard, right?

Tough road ahead. Up the Arsenal. xx

9. Skid_64

I long for the day when we lift our next trophy and hopefully it won’t be too long coming. I agree that things need to be fixed but the question is will they be fixed with AW in charge ? You know how stubborn he is and I can’t see him changing his philosophy.

You see them play every other week and pay a great deal of money to do so, doesn’t it wind you up to see the likes of Big Al, LF, EE, SS, TR7, Denilson, NB52 coining it in ? Can you honestly see AW shipping this lot out because I can’t and there lies a big part of the problem.

You shouldn’t have to put up with anyone being abusive to you that’s not on. I know I’ve fired off some tweets to you but I’m sure even in the heat of the moment I’ve never been abusive. If I have please let me know.

All the best.

10. Hannah

Hi there!

I’ve only just come across your blog, and I must say I really like the way you write! I’m going to comment on the twitter abuse (mainly because I’m trying to put yesterday’s game out of my mind, even though that’s quite impossible with my room covered from head to toe in Arsenal stuff).

I want to start by congratulate you on your year for this blog! Getting an award and seeing where it all randomly came from is really impressive, so well done!! Happy birthday, etc.
    Unfortunately, “haters gonna hate” and no matter who you are and what you do, there are going to be people who just don’t think. There are people like you who have opinions and them, but there’s a fine line between being subtle and keeping things to yourself and being rude…well, what I’m trying to say is: you have those people, but you’ve got to ignore them and think about the majority of your followers who like the way you write, what you write about, or if not, who give you an interesting counter-argument but in a humane way. I’m sure you know all of this anyway and this is just a blabbing comment, I just want to say that I’m a new follower, and I admire what you write, and those haters can just go fook a duck. I’ve just started writing a blog – literally days old – about Arsenal, and this blog has encouraged me to carry on with it, because, even though you have those ridiculous tweeters, you’ve got all those other sides of having a blog which cancel them out.

So, thank you!
    Up the Gunners!

Hi Hannah! Thanks for your comment and for reading. Let me know when you make your next post.

11. Gary

Another great blog again.

I did notice that you were getting a lot more abuse on twitter yesterday purely because you refuse to give into the doom and gloom that surrounds the club right now. A lot of it was out of order and having a go at you because you still believe that we can and will win the league isnt right at all.

I guess it comes to you because you have a very popular blog that lots of people read and I guess to a lot of people you are becoming a “voice” on what happens around our club. You should definetly think of it as a compliment that people feel that way, but the abuse OFC is never nice nor is it wanted. You handled it well tho.

Its been a horrible 2 weeks to be an Arsenal fan though. 4 trophies is now 1 but we still have to believe we can win the biggest trophy of them all. We are in such a good position and still in with such a chance of winning it….thats why I dont get why people are writing off our season already.

If they want to have the inquisition at least have the respect to wait until the league is done. They are going to look stupid if we do win the league.

Djourou will be a huge, HUGE loss. I have said it before, I will say it again – he has been OUSTANDING for us. Squillaci and Koscielny just dont look condident together at all. Djourou was the glue holding the defence, he will be a big, big miss.

You thoughts on Jack is exactly what I am thinking. You have to say what we are doing to him is not fair – all our hopes and dreams and pressures is getting put on his shoulders because sometimes he is the only player that looks like giving a fig for this team.

All his effort and then he must look at the likes of Denilson and Diaby strolling around like they are on holiday and think to himself “GRRRRR WTF ARE THEY DOING!!!”

Still we have a lot to play for and its now or never to stand up and be counted. There is some good news in all the doom and gloom. Ramsey came back and he will be a huge player in the closing stages of the league. Cesc and Song and Theo are not that far away from a return either.

Im still going to believe we will win the league.

Keep the faith and dont let the idiots giving you rubbish get you down!

12. Theo van Nasrigas

Hi Sian,

Happy anniversary! Your blog is great. And it’s not because I agree 100% with everything. That’s not the point. Your Arsenal passion and lovely personality clearly come through. Your witty, breezy style compliments the real knowledge and expert opinion you’ve developed as a life-long supporter.

This is a cool place to go and to be, and to post.
    With any measure of popularity in publishing I suppose, brings out both the nicest and nastiest people (I like to count myself among the former) in response.

Congratulions – all this can only mean one thing – you are wildly successful! Keep up the great work. I’ll be following…

xxx

Theodora

Thanks for reading (again)! I won a trophy this year, I still think the team is going to follow suit. :D

Happy anniversary!

The last couple of weeks have been tough on Gooners and I’m sorry to hear that some of the venting has taken a nasty edge. I write under a pseudonym, but I would never use a measure of anonymity to insult or personally attack a fellow supporter. I reserve that strictly for Manchester United, Tottenham, etc.!!

What’s been galling is how we’ve been losing. Each exit has been accompanied by injuries, and the road ahead with entirely the league to play for, has suddenly become more challenging.

COME ON ARSENAL!!!

1NTTA

14. Ejor

Hey Sian, I vividly recall stumbling into ur 1st blog while surfing through newsnow in March last year.. Before then, i frequently read some crap blogs that will stab into every single arsenal player anytime we lost a match.. But ever since, I read just arseblog, ladyarse n ur blog.. And Myles Palmers’ (whenever I want 2 curse someone).. Whoever that’s picking up a fight with you on twitter should go and hug a transformer.. Keep making us true goners happy even in defeat, I love you !!

15. Girl Gunner

Happy Anniversary!!:) Its great that u won an award with ur blog even being less than a year old,that just shows ur talent!! Well i’m sorry 2 hear about the abuse u’v been receiving from haters (arsenal fans? I hope not),who will keep on hating, they r just jealous they don’t got ur positivity,talent and intelligence,but u keep shining like them disco lights,doll!! I have to say feelings of dissapointment or happiness will be there,but my love 4 arsenal remains,win o lose though it would b nice though to finally win something!! Lastly lets all pray 4 those who lost their loved ones,not just in japan,but everywhere around the world(just came from a funeral of an amazing lady,my friends mum!) Gunners keep going up and up!! From Linda xx

16. Tim

Hi, Sian congratulations on a superb year. You have put the faith back into being able to support our team no matter the result. We can say (and know) when they have played badly, but it’s a bit like families everywhere, we can say it but god help anyone else who does. We love them no matter what

.It is great to read your blogg after every match, as you have a way of putting it all into perspective, and an understanding that comes from being a true fan even in the barren years, and these time under AW have been far from being barren, whether it’s winning trophies or just playing some of the best football this country has ever seen.

Many thanks for all your words, and ignore all the rude arrogant people, who abuse your right to have your say

17. Uncle Mike

I assure you, of the people associated with Arsenal, you are nowhere near the top of the list of people who need abuse. A certain pair of midfielders whose names begin with D come to mind. So does a certain clown in the net — not the net he should be in!

It really did come down to the 2 goalies: van der Sar cannot retire soon enough for me, and Almunia is, to paraphrase a certain Chelsea player I don’t like, a freakin’ disgrace. Not enough shots taken, and those that were got stopped cold by VDS. Arshavin was so hopeless that the totally washed-up Rosicky was actually an improvement. Ramsey looked refreshing in his return, Sagna was good, Gibbs was really good and Wilshere was brilliant. The rest of the team were garbage. Sorry, forgot to “speak English” there: They were rubbish.

Eight games left, all in the League. Enough rubbish. So far, this season has produced 2 good things for me: The Wilshere explosion, and my discovery of this blog. Forgive me for being greedy, Sian, but I want more. I want that League title, and I know you do, too! I would have settled for any of the 3 big ones, but now this is all we got left, so let’s take it! Even if we have to put James Shea in goal instead of the Clown!

• Skid_64

Almunia a disgrace I’ve heard it all now ! I’m not a fan of his but he was our man of the match against Barca no question and didn’t do a lot wrong against Man U. I’m guessing you’ve forgotten about his Seamanesque one handed save ? For Christ’s sake if he has a mare than have a go don’t just pick on him for the sake of it !

As for Gibbs a few good things but on the whole a poor game you need to pay more attention when you’re watching !

Don’t feed the Troll is,I believe,the current vernacular for ‘Ignore them and they’ll go away.Here’s to the future.

19. Rebecca Jill

Hi Siany,

Congratulations on one year of blogging and getting to be a part of the arseblog network! It’s been a joy to read your blog and share in your experiences at the matches and being a fan of Arsenal.

I’ve also loved your stuff on Twitter, and we’ll always have #Arsenalpositivity. And I do with these last 10 games, especially, since it’s the only 10 matches they have to focus on.

With all the up and coming young English talent on Arsenal, I know you know there’s hope for the English team amongst the likes of Rooney. It’s such a different story and and mix of pressure on our men’s national team here in the U.S.

Happy Birthday to your blog!

Rebecca Jill

20. Paddington bear

Happy anniversary! When Arsenal lose, yours is the only blog I read. Thanks for sharing the optimism. I too think we will win this year and reading your blogs always help to remain positive while still being realistic.
    Here’s to many many more posts.
    Cheers

21. Akshay

“Think positive and be optimistic”- Unknown.
    We need to cling to this saying forever. Being a sports fan is never easy. There are good times and bad. Worse too, sometimes. But hope and belief get you through it.

To all the naysayers and abusing pessimists, What’s the sense in going mental everytime the team loses a match? To reiterate your point, There are fans of other teams who haven’t seen their team lift a trophy in their entire lifetime. Doesn’t mean they give up on their team.
    As a fan, all we can do is getting behind the team and cheer them loud and proud everytime they are out there wearing The Arsenal colours. Negativity never helped anyone.

Ps: We can still win the Double this year, you know. ;)

22. Tarun Sharma

Hey Sian,

Your blog is awesome and I always read it after every Arsenal match. You’re a brilliant writer. Hope this makes up for the evil Twitter people.

:) Thanks Tarun.