Arsenal, money, laps of apology, Cesc and Botox.

May 16, 2011 31 Comments by Sian

It seems as though this season, there have been two ways in which we’ve enjoyed destroying ourselves. These have been either:

- through moments of hideous crazy that have left everyone with jaws on floors (e.g. Woj/Kos awkwardness at Carling Cup final, Cesc’s assist at the Camp Nou, Abou’s sending off at St. James’s Park, Almunia’s sprint out of his box at the Hawthorns… oh God there have been so many.)

or

- through moments of snoozy time that have left everyone effing and blinding and wishing the boys weren’t so willing to kip through their alarm clocks. (e.g. most of the home match with West Brom, last week’s match at Stoke, many other matches I’ve deleted from my memory bank)

And yesterday. The first fifteen to twenty minutes of yesterday’s match were disgusting. Painful. Covered in germs. Like when you’re a waitress in a bar and the glasswasher breaks so you have to help the barbacks and you pick up a glass and ARGHHHH IT HAS A HAIR ON IT, A WET HAIR, A WET HAIR IN A PINT GLASS, MAKE IT GO AWAYYYYYY!

Awful crap. Two moments of crap from us and good stuff from Darren Bent that meant, unbelievably (or, believably, if you’ve been following us throughout the season), we were 0-2 down at home and it wasn’t even halfway to half time yet.

The feeling before match was a funny one. The shiny bright beautiful pale-faced blue-eyed razor-cheeked return of Thomas Vermaelen almost acted as a diversion for the sheer WTFness of the rest of the team. Gibbs came in for Clichy. Squillaci partnered Vermaelen. No Cesc,  no Nasri. It was like the injury gods had gone ‘OK, you can have Belgian machine boy back… but oh how you will pay for it’. The bench had Henderson and Miquel on it. It was almost like the end of last season again where the team was patchworked together with yoghurt lids and blu-tak.

Let us remember, to those claiming it was a dead rubber of a match, we were still looking for third place. Fourth place means extra Champions League matches, which is never a good thing for the Arsenal. Mind you that said, we didn’t have to qualify this season and look what happened? Maybe it won’t make that much of a difference after all (if we do end up fourth).

Anyway, once Villa were 0-2 up, we finally woke up. Never mind that we didn’t have time for breakfast and that the bus was pulling away from the bus stop, we were finally alive awake and enthusiastic(ish). I had a feeling we’d come back and beat them, but that feeling was wrong. Thanks in no small part to some downright shit refereeing decisions, but the fact is you should never be 0-2 down at home to Aston Villa 20 minutes in in the first place.

I’m not as fussed about the penalty because it’s the same old story, but what in God’s name was our perfectly acceptable goal disallowed for? I mean was this referee just trying to add to my Speed 2: Cruise Control theory? Nick then got booked for complaining, but the rest of the team’s responses were as if they almost expected it.

We finally got one back through Robin van Persie (who else?) but it wasn’t enough. We really did batter them toward the end and Villa looked nothing like scoring again but those opening minutes of crap had done us in. Another home loss, another kick in the teeth, another sad end to the season.

We then of course had to endure the ‘lap of appreciation’, which about 20,000 of us did. The crowd had been haemorrhaging Tube commuters from 15 minutes before the end of the match, but we lost even more for that. One man obviously hoped to start a revolution by slinging his scarf on the pitch, but no one followed suit. Ha. Hahahaha. Ha. Hahaha.

People started to boo as the boys walked around the pitch, but they were drowned out by a fairly impressive chorus of ‘We love you Arsenal’ which, of course, we still do and always will. I understand that people wish to get their irritation and anger heard. I don’t understand the tarring of an entire team with one brush. I can’t boo Bacary Sagna, Jack Wilshere, Wojciech Szczesny, Aaron Ramsey, Johan Djourou, Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie,  Samir Nasri, Thomas Vermaelen and Arsene Wenger. Well, actually I can’t boo at all because if ONLY you knew how much of an ugly chump it makes you look and sound. But that’s besides the point.

The ‘Six per cent, you’re having a laugh’ song (in response to the increase in season ticket prices for next year) was certainly inspired, but the fact it was sung more loudly than any other song that day and, let’s face it, many other songs on many other matchdays also says a lot. If only we could turn that anger into encouragement earlier on in the season.

There’s not been much of a fall-out post-match because where can things fall to, really. The bottom line is, from four trophies to one, to second place, to third place, to possibly fourth place. When you look at it like that, it certainly provokes a bit of anger. All this talk of confidence and self-belief doesn’t really wash with me but then maybe I’m just a hard-arsed bitch. You find teams MUCH worse off than us who manage to pull unbelievable wins out of the bag when it’s needed and even when it’s too late to be needed. And then you’ve got Arsenal, still in the top two – no, three- oh no, four?! – who crumble like a tea-soaked Rich Tea biscuit just because summer is nearly here.

I don’t know what the answer is. I know plenty of fans think they do, but they don’t either. We’re also now seeing the pre-amble to the annual ‘Where’s Cesc going?’ fiesta we always get to enjoy in summer, but call me blindly faithful, I don’t think he will leave. Unlike other fans (namely tweeters) who always claim to have inside knowledge, I have absolutely none whatsoever and even if I did I wouldn’t tell you because I’d be too scared to be wrong. I’m OK being wrong in my gut feeling though, so my gut feeling says he will stay. It’ll just be such an anti-climax for his Arsenal time to leave now with his tail between his legs. If he goes now (to Barcelona, because the idea of anywhere else is enough to give you chicken pox), he’ll regret it.

Changes are needed in the summer and you can only hope to Herbert they will for once be made. Speaking of changes, I was pointed in the direction of this site by the dashing and very follow-worthy @daryl_photoshop after making a comment about Arsenal’s spending in context of the top four Premiership teams. If you look at the table for 2006-2011, Arsenal are 19th in the spending league having spent £85,150,000. Manchester City (duh) top the table at £455,670,000, while Chelsea are second and Manchester United are 14th (penny-pinchers). Now, that table is worked out by including the amount of money earned by selling players as well so those figures are slightly misleading. But cut a long story short, we’ve not spent much. Arsene Wenger, you’ll not be surprised to hear, is also 19th in the managers’ table of spending (above Mick McCarthy, Stuart Pearce, Roy Hodgson and Phil Scolari).

From having a good old gander at the whole site, along with becoming utterly sickened by the figures involved in the sport we love (the sensible, non-football-blinkered part of me is screaming ’THINK OF THE HOSPITALS THEY COULD HAVE BUILT’) it does show you what we all already knew really.

But it reinforced the point that we have done bloody well to keep ourselves up there when all around are losing their pounds. Arsenal are like the really pretty actress in Hollywood who always won all the best roles. Then, all these new girls came along with their macrobiotic diets and their injected lips and their fried hair and their lipo scars and started to muscle in on her territory, in much the same way as the saline implants had muscled in on their chests. Yet somehow, that pretty girl still had something about her that enabled her to continue to compete with the others. Now though, she appears to be a bit over the hill. Still talented and beautiful, but sadly on the verge of giving in to the Botox.

But maybe a good old freshen up won’t do her any harm. Perhaps she needs to cut the carbs (passenger players) from her diet (squad) and get the fake boobs everyone else has [some comment about the strike force up front]. She’ll still be her, but she’ll get the BEST roles back once more.

Blimey, that was a long-arsed analogy. But you see what I mean. Arsenal need Botox is what I’m saying. Wait, no. Am I? I think… I don’t know. Let’s go back to the ‘changes need to be made’ part. They do. It’s up to those that know to make them. NOT making any, would be stupid and ridiculous of them.

Well this has turned into a bit of a tome. My personal feelings on the season are feelings of overwhelming sadness at what the team has done to itself. What could have been. It’s worth remembering though, that at the start of the season, people thought we’d struggle for anything. You can’t help but wonder whether it was that great bit in the middle that led us on a merry dance believing anything could and would happen. Made the come down so much worse. But anyway. Hope you are all well. One more match and then a nice, relaxing summer of transfer speculation and pre-season dramas for us all. Looking forward?

I think I need a lie-down.

1. Steven Chambers

Arsenal fans have their opinions on what needs changing, and so did you on your blog, doesn’t mean they’re long like you said, though. We all think we know but that doesn’t mean we are wrong, and everyone has their opinion. And as for the ‘we’ve spent less money than everyone so that means we’ve overachieved’ I don’t buy that at all. We could have kept on building and building these last few years as the money has been there, but it has been chose not to spend. I don’t know about you, but I expected us to win a trophy and easily qualify for the CL this season, I don’t care what pundits or journalists think where we’ll finish. I expected that and we’ve underachieved. Plain and simple.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, yes. Did not say they were not. Also didn’t say we’d overachieved. Said we’d done well, IN CONTEXT OF THE TOP FOUR. Not in the context of Arsenal.

This blog is also my opinion. Thanks for commenting.

• Steven Chambers

I enjoyed it but just picked up on you saying fans who gave their opinions on what needed changing were wrong, then you gave your opinion on what we needed to do.

I didn’t say you said that but all this ‘oh we’ve spent less money so we should be in this position’ is nonsense. We had the chance to spend money and improve the squad to be the best. Manchester City have splashed loads of cash because they can and it doesn’t affect them at all, and we don’t spend ours when we have some tucked away that could be improving us vastly. And as for the boo’s, I wouldn’t of booed either, but I understand why fans are booing and they are entitled to do so. It works both ways when you say they put more effort into the 6% chant than they do into our actual songs. If Arsenal players started a game the way they finished it yesterday, then I’m quite sure we would have had a much better record at home this season.

Again, I didn’t say they were wrong, I said they didn’t know. I don’t know either. How can I? How can we? We don’t work in football. However, “I don’t know” doesn’t make for a very interesting blog. I did say that I didn’t know, before stating my opinion.

Good point on fans/players, it works both ways.

• Steven Chambers

When as many fans, ex-players, pundits and journalists are saying the exact same thing about what we need and how we need things to change, I think that is when we ALL know.

Just think if our team started games like we finished then the crowd would start like that too. The nervous/hesitant starts at home just leads to fans biting their nails instead of giving their lungs a good work out. I enjoyed your opinions anyway’s, thanks for replying.

2. Steven Chambers

wrong **

3. cris

One thing, everybody says ´´the money are there we just haven´t spent it´´. How can we be so sure the money are there and that the club didn´t want to spent it?? Maybe the club doesn´t have as much money as we would like to think they have.
    Personally i think we don´t have the spending power other clubs have.

That’s a good point, I’ve often wondered that myself. Which makes me feel worse for Wenger being made the tight-arse when it’s out of his control. Who knows.

4. cris

forgot to say: Always a pleasure to read your blog, it must be a bit diffucult to write it especially after games like the ones agasint stoke, newcastle ect.

Great blog, as always, and a great analogy. You can’t help but feel a decent haircut and a new lipstick in January would have been nice though. Just a little something to give her that spring in her step at those auditions.

Not got much else to say other than that people accusing you of telling others they don’t know what the solution is then having your own opinion should re-read and realise you only pointed out that *something* needs to change but not quite sure what. Just the obvious. Because nothing has for the past few years.

And, for the record, I also think Cesc will stay. I have no insider knowledge but I have a little thing called hope.

And if we win the league next year, I will turn to the boo boys and the leavers and ask “where were you when we were (quite) shit?”

• Steven Chambers

Not accusing anybody of anything. Sian said that those who think they know, don’t. And my answer to that was when most fans, ex-players, pundits and journalists are coming to the same conclusion, then I think they do. Sian said we need change, which I agree with, so that is thinking you know. A little bit petty from me, yes, but was just making that point.

And as for the ‘boo boys’, they are entitled to boo, as you are entitled to cheer. They pay their money and are allowed to voice their opinions on what has been another familiar season. And unless there is change this summer, nobody at Arsenal will be celebrating a Premier League Title.

• Daniel

The “something needs to change” part is obvious but people are wading in giving it the “yeah, get so and so out, go in for this person”, which is fine and dandy but in all fairness there is nobody who knows for sure what the answer is, and that was the point.

People also want Wenger out, which I think is ludcirous unless we want to join Chelsea with a manager merry-go-round. Any new manager will be turned upon very quickly and with Chelsea it shows that even the best managers in the world can fail.

Other people point at Pat Rice, a man who lives and breathes Arsenal and has seen it all, given his life to the club but some smug Twitterer decides “Mmmmyeah, get ‘im out, someone new…” etc etc, and then BANG ON about how Arsenal have lost their way.

We’re a club with traditions and just diving in throwing shit about and people who made this club what it is today would be very harmful to us and the we’d have “lost our way”.

People can boo all they want and leave when they want. Just not my way. And I’ll voice disapproval of it, especially as I don’t think it will exactly get the boys up for the Fulham game.

• Daniel

ps. not directing any of my anger at you, I know you were only making a point and, in a family with two season tickets, I know how frustrating it is and I have probably privately expressed a few times certain players I wouldn’t mind seeing go.

But spilling it all over Twitter is no good.

• Steven Chambers

Giving there opinion on what positions we need strengthening isn’t exactly tough to figure out.

As for the ‘wenger out’ brigade, I don’t agree, but I understand why people feel that way. Arsene has to change this things summer, or unfortunately, I will be jumping on that same ship, but with less hatred towards our greatest Manager, ever.

Pat Rice thing is nonsense, but I do think we need to freshen up the coaching staff like Sir Alex always does. Arsene mentioned adding someone to his staff so that sounds like good news. Someone coming in from the outside, who sees things differently. It’s good to have that and that might make Arsene look at things differently.

And as I said before, it works both ways. When your team start games like we have at home this season, you can understand how that transfers onto the fans. If they started games the way they ended them at home then things might be different.

And it won’t be a bad atmosphere at Fulham as the away support never let us down, and are always in full voice. They deserve their appreciation from the players this weekend.

• Daniel

I’m pretty sure Wenger will be cut throat this summer. Think he’s had enough of certain people and genuinely think this time next year will be very different (for the better). Freshening up the staff will be good, adding something new but not making silly cuts. Maybe even Steve Bould coming in to coach the defense more.

Was only referring to selection of fans booing the other day. Don’t think that sort of thing will help our prep for the Fulham game. But they are pros and shoud be able to deal with it.

Cheers

6. Johnny

I think you’re right, though I think maybe the team just needs to touch up it’s make-up and change the clothes. No big new image.

I never wanted us to spend money, but I guess if you can’t beat ‘em you gotta join ‘em. I still think in the longer term, the youth policy will work out and we can be incredibly successful with ‘home-grown’ talent, just in the mean time we need something to keep the glory hunters satisfied.

7. Gary

First off great blog as always!

I think the game yesterday was a snapshot of our season as a whole. Poor play to start the match, conceding horribly weak goals that could be prevented, some horrible referee decisions and a lot of possession but pretty toothless in attack.

Thank god for RvP in the last 2 months. He has almost carried this team or we could be a lot worse off than we ended up.

I can understand the anger from a lot of our fans. The season has ended on such a poor note and its an all to familiar feeling. Despite the anger I don’t think I can ever accept the booing of a player before he comes on (as happened to Bendtner). I mean do those tards actually think that HELPS anything?

I do think changes need to be made over the summer. I love this team but the fact that we continue to be crap at defending set pieces and continue to collapse come March suggests that there is something wrong somewhere.

Players who don’t contribute need to be sold, new players brought in and some changes made to the coaching setup (dedicated defensive ciach

• Gary

Sigh. Typing stuff on a phone always turns out to be a big fail. Hit post before I was even finished!

Part 2 now :p

Players who don’t contribute need to be sold, new players brought in and some changes made to the coaching setup (dedicated defensive coach perhaps?) That and I think Wenger needs to be more ruthless and stop defending players who continue to let him down again and again and again regardless of the faith he puts in them.

I have a feeling that Nasri and Clichy are more likely to be sold that Cesc but thats just me. I also think it depends on who Wenger brings in during the summer. If he trots out the next 16 year old wonderkid and a returned Vermaelen as our signings then I think Cesc may be more inclined to walk.

I still believe that Wenger is the man that can lead us back to the top of the table. I dont think we require a mass corrective surgery but we do need to adapt to a premier league that is now more a big 5 than a big 4 tbh. Failure to do so could potentially see us left behind.

Silly season will now officialyl start (if it has not already). The media will be in a feeding frenzy around Arsenal till the end of August and twitter will be full of people saying My uncle works for someone who knows a guy who knows the guy that delivers food to Arsenal who was told by an Arsenal insider that we are going to be buying this player or that player.

Going to be a long hard summer for us Arsenal fans having to put up with a lot of crap stories tbh. Still come August we will approach the season with a new sense of wonder and joy and we will quite happily put ourselves through the ringer because we love Arsenal.

And thats what it comes down to. As a fan we support our team no matter what is going on. We might not agree with every decision being made and we may want changes but we will always go on loving this team. Thats what being a fan is all about.

Heres to a interesting summer and the new season come August :)

Arsenal fans have always been angry, ungrateful lot. People go on about our fantastic vocal away support but come Sunday listen out to how many of those songs are actually aimed at our players in words of encouragement. We spend most it mocking rival fans and players. ‘Can we sing a song for you’. Lovely but does that do anything for the players? Don’t think so.

• oldbird

Alan

I have been to many many away games in the last few seasons and the travelling support sing encouragement to our players thru good times and bad. Lost my voice 2 seasons ago singing “we love you Arsenal….” for the last 15 minutes despite losing 3-0 (at Man City). Don’t agree with your comment at all. However totally agree it is pitiful sometimes at the Grove. The Red-action Block 6 “boys” who claim to lead the way are often the first to go quiet when things get sticky.

Great blog, Sian as always. I share your sadness. Lets hope for a good performance next week and some good transfer botox to make us all feel better.

9. Iceman

Incredibly spot on with the overwhelming disappointment of yet another season. I too am bemused at why we cannot finish the job. We must have money and AW must really want to win the league – if it ended in March we’d be champs every year! We need David Dein back, or someone like him who took the pressure off of AW and did the right sort of business in the transfer market. First read of your blog – I like the honest style without the over the top slagging off(everyone does that) – because deep down we all want Arsenal to be great, and know that with a minimal amount of changes that it could happen. I still think that there is a witch hunt on the club, not just the media but referees too – Phil Dowd is a prime example of a man who clearly does not want us to win. I just hope that the summer brings in at least 4 fresh faces of genuine quality.

10. Georgie

Can’t agree with alan on the away fans bit! If the home support was as good as the away support in every game would our home record be so poor? Chelsea, man united, Barca great atmosphere, results Nd performances followed! No was that the support lifting the players or the players lifting the support? Hard to say! The away fans bring it every time!

11. Eric

You guys probably know a lot more about football than I do since I only started watching it about 5 years ago after I moved to this country. When I started watching football I didn’t have a favourite team, so I just watched to learn what was going on. Over time I understood more and I liked Arsenal more and more because the style of football they play. It was attacking, fast paced football with intricate passing and a selfless no hero style of play that I had learned in playing basketball when I was young.

While Arsenal’s (Wenger’s) style of play still exists and still appeals, I’ve noticed some other consistent Arsenal patterns over the past few years which I think contribute to the current, ummmm, dare I call it, malaise?

First, Arsenal has had an enormous number of injuries over the past several years. Bad luck, yes, kind of. It’s a tough sport and a tough league and the pace of play is intense and ruthless and all teams suffer injuries. I suspect if you made an injury table, Arsenal would be up there at or near the top (and if I’m wrong, let me know).

The net effect of these injuries is that although Arsenal’s starting rotation has a lot of talent and reasonable depth, if you get a lot of injuries, those guys aren’t playing for you and you’re down to mediocre players who don’t mind sitting on the bench (no Shay Givens at this point). A perfect example is where we were with goal keepers this year. Or defensive back. Or strikers. Geez, its a good thing we have depth at the midfield to keep us in games…

Anyway Wenger clearly has a thing about spending money, a thing about youth and a thing about style. Me too. But I wonder about is training. Why do we have so many injuries?

Is it because we don’t have a good enough training regime and guys pay the price when they’re knocked about? Or is that the body style that lends itself to high paced attacking football doesn’t lend itself to endurance? I don’t know but before I spent £60 million to get more depth in the squad I’d look to see if we could do something with the physical fitness of the squad. Can anybody offer insightful comment?

The other thing I’ve noticed is that we don’t do well in the big games often enough and we lose games that we shouldn’t lose. Here again I have questions and they aren’t about spending another £40 million. Two specifics on this point: first, we often seem even more nervous than our opponents in big games and secondly, our finely honed skills often disappear in big games.

So I ask myself, where is the self-belief under pressure that big teams have and that we seem to lack? I suspect here again that there is something in the way things are done at Arsenal, something in game preparation that just isn’t working right. Everybody talks the talk before big games but I can’t think of a talented, exciting team in any sport that plays more hot and cold than Arsenal. I know its often pointed out that we’re the youngest team in the league and that must play its part. But if you know that as a starter and you seek that youth when you recruit, then something needs to be done to counteract that deficiency or it will get you when you least want it.

Now I’m a big Arsene Wenger fan and I’m not calling for his Avram Granting but I do think that the issues that are keeping Arsenal from reaching the top of the league are managerial ones. I don’t want to watch a team grinding out wins, I like Wenger’s stylish football but I think that along with a stronger defense to support Vermaelin and Szczesny we need to look at some of the fundamentals at the management level which means Wenger making some behind the scenes adjustments along with spending some dosh.

12. Eric

And another thing…

I think the Cesc F story has to resolve itself now. If Cesc wants to go, let him go. I know that’s scary, he’s damn good off the ball, he’s damn good at passing, he’s damn good at seeing. But you can’t hold a team hostage to one player’s constant indecision. Personally I think CF would be making a mistake playing for Barca, they have so much depth I wonder how often he’d play and how often the challenge would be the at the level of the premier league. But if he really wants to go, then lets not blackmail and cajole and grovel, these are part of the problem. If he wants to stay, great! If not, get £50 million for him and get on with winning the league. MU lived through Ronaldo’s departure and we will too. But the worry over CF can’t be good for team spirit for any number of reasons. Let’s resolve this and either way, move on.

13. Uncle Mike

Your description of yesterday’s first 15 minutes sounds like Arseblog when the desire to make a point overcomes his boilkness. Too bad it was necessary. AGAIN!

And as for the team acting as though they expected to get screwed by the ref, I can only say one word: “Well… ?”

I’m with you on just about everything, Siany. The biggest disappointment for me is seeing how some of the players AW has believed in go on their holidays weeks too early. Can’t really complain about the boo-ers as it’s a reflex action to seeing what you don’t like. The summer will be very interesting as there is a fair bit of dead wood to be got rid of, but I know that come the Barnet game I will be looking forward to the new season every bit as much as I did last season and the season before that and the season before that…….

15. Girl Gunner

nice blog as usual…..

we are all used to loosing by now, which obviously is a bad thing,so as almost all commenters + sian have said and i agree, we need change come end of the season,some players who r pullling us down gots to go…about cesc,the boy with the big talent, tears will well up if he decides to go, but the desicion is his and if he wants to go, then we should let him but hoping he see’s that he belongs at arsenal…

personally ,i think arsene wenger is a man who can bring changes and hopefully, fingers crossed he will, i mean, no doubt hie has noticed that something is wrong, so now lets wait and see the cards he plays…

i’m not a fan of boo-ing in general but if peolple feel the need to do it then let them, but maybe not in the stadium, during a match, when support is needed…

Could be worse.Sian…Imagine trying to think up a Hollywood actress analogy about the mob over at Upton Park…

17. theo van Nasrigas

Great blog – we missed you for a couple of weeks!

Amidst all the despair (yes, I feel it too), of the many Gooners posts rightfully expressing their frustration, I would like to admit to a little bit of appreciation instead.

Appreciation for yet another top 4 finish among company that has probably outspent the entire Premier League combined.

Appreciation for yet another season of top flight European competition in the CL, finally beating Barcelona, something which has happened – what – only three times this year in all competitions?

Appreciation for finally getting the monkey off our back with victories against Chelsea and Man U.

Appreciation for the sparkling return of Aaron Ramsey, scoring a goal at his first game back.

Appreciation for the early season contributions of Chamakh, the brilliant mid-season form of Nasri, and the incredible touch of van Persie which has continued throughout the run-in.

Appreciation for the emergence of Jack Wilshere sure to be formidable presence in the red and white for years to come.

Appreciation for the great Cesc Fabrigas who has done everything for this club and will always be a favourite of mine even if he does warm the bench for Barcelona next season.

And finally appreciation for this unique community of worldwide Gooners led by bloggers like Siany, who elevate our collective passion to even more informative entertaining heights.

Until August when we begin all over again, have a wonderful summer everyone and for the last time this year, come ON you Gunners!!!

xxx

Theodora

• OriginalJnr_

Tears just won’t come out! Lovely stuff Siany, Theodora. I’m loving The Arsenal more and more and I love my uncle who made me a Gooner while I looked so confused, nodding my head at everything he said!

THE AAARSEENNNALLL!!!! X

18. Rollo Tommasi

An amazing season really where the the team had looked quite highly progressive for much of it…but alas it wasn’t to be.

With a view to becoming serious PL and European potential Champions, it is somewhat dissapointing and even a little disconcerting that we have finished the season like a very, very drunken sailor, weerily walking down the boardwalk, clutching a half eaten chocolate jesus in our paw…

On balance there has been some improvement in quality on last year. Szcz & Wilshere notably, and if the club can improve as much next year as it has this, we MAY become contenders once more. But its unrealistic to expect the next step to be made without some additions I feel. Hopefully we get some deals done this summer !