Arsenal’s long old summer continues…

July 7, 2011 30 Comments by Sian

After about three months of willing the season to end as Arsenal Arsenalled their way into their usual end-of-season position, I don’t think anyone could have anticipated quite how long the summer would feel. Then again, you never can, can you? Summer in the UK at least is certainly being longed out by the fabulous sunny weather we’re not having in any way at all, and the only Arsenal we have to keep us entertained are Jack’s tweets from Wimbledon, randoms poking their noses into business that is not theirs, and photos of Arsene looking trimmer than most 25-year-olds on a slide in Corsica (WARNING: link goes to The Sun website, if The Sun is not the way you roll.)

I trust everyone has been well for the duration of this so far uneventful summer break. By the way, writing a word as pretty and summery as ‘summer’ is a right pisser when the rain outside is so heavy you can’t actually see properly. Never mind though, I have a tan brought back with me from Ibiza last week. Speaking of Ibiza, it seems every footballer on planet earth has been there over the past couple of weeks. Including Cescy Boy, but more on him later.

The only big move thus far for the Arse has been the departure of Gael Clichy to Manchester City. I don’t think anyone was particularly upset by that move, even if he was the final Invincible to depart the team. His move now means that my current desktop wallpaper is officially history now, since it is the boys at White Hart Lane post Premiership victory in 2004. It’s been funny (hideous) over the years watching the number of lads in the photo still in the squad diminish. Pires, Thierry, Jens (ish), Ashley, Keown, Sol, Stack (!), Lauren, Gilberto, darling Kolo, JA-R, Parlour, Edu, Vieira and now finally Gael Clichy. Sigh. I lovc Gael very much, so I personally am sad, but not footballistically. Perhaps it was time for him to move on, he was an excellent servant to the club and has moved on to pastures new. May the force be with him, but may he fail to settle at all and cause massive problems in the City defence, leaving as soon as is humanly possible. I also suggest we start calling Manchester City our bin.

As for other departing players, Cesc Fabregas continues to dominate the newspapers in Spain and here. Every morning in Ibiza, I would go to the local Spar and see Cescy beaming out at me from the front of Sport or El Mundo Deportivo and every morning I’d poke the front page viciously, call it a wanker under my breath or crease it just a little bit as I put it extra-firmly it back on the stands. Don’t mess.

Fairytale time is in full swing over there in Catalonelier-sin-Cesc,  with Wenger being called all sorts for daring to put this interests of the club he works for first, for continuing to beat Cesc with a tyre iron, and for not providing the Barcelona squad with the specific brand of tea they requested when they came to use our training facilities back in May and left them smelling of diving powder and cheating dust. Except Messi’s corner, which was left immaculate and humble-looking (I don’t care what you say, I love him).

This one will run and run, guys. It is utterly arsetastic that somehow in the whole bloody fiasco Arsenal are being made to look the buying club without rights and Barcelona the crusading warrior only wanting to bring Cesc home, but that is the nature of this especially ugly beast.

Speaking of which, Dani Alves has also been opening his fly trap again, talking about Barcelona being business class and clubs that should not keep unhappy players. Of course I’m getting all of this from the translation from The Guardian, and maybe it didn’t sound arseholey at all when he said it, but given his reputation and his antics when Barcelona played Real Madrid in the Champions League this season, I think he probably meant it to be arseholey. There’s kind of an arseholey halo about him, dontcha think?

Pepe Reina also has been talking about Cesc, which is so utterly irrelevant to anything in the world that I’ll stop here. And that’s all so far in the Cesc drama this year.  He should be off on tour with the rest of the team at the weekend so we’ll see how all that goes.

Apparently Samir Nasri is also off, with Arsenal allegedly having rejected a £20 million bid from him from our friends in the north (and Kent). No not The Bin, the other Mancs. I’m struggling to give very much on The Meh-ometer with this one. I mean I will care if he goes. And I will be happy if he stays. But the second players seem to be thinking of other clubs, I generally think “Oh well sod off to hell then”. Yes, admittedly I do not feel this way with Cesc. I don’t know why either, but the fact he’s actually from Barcelona probably helps with that one.

Ugh, I’m getting depressed now so let’s all get our hopes up only to be dashed at the last minute by talking about the incoming players, shall we? First up, Valencia’s Juan Mata. Now, I’m not exactly a La Liga aficionado but it’s definitely second in my Leagues I Watch list. And I have liked Juan Mata since 2009, and not just ‘cos he’s cute. It’s also so strange for me (or most of us) to have actually heard of a player we’re linked with, so I think the unneccessary excitement may stem in some way from that. ETA: Valencia’s president has apparently just stated that Mata won’t be going anywhere. So that probably means he won’t be going anywhere. Awesome.

Gervinho also has been having a medical at Arsenal now since late 2005, so that one should be announced any day, although his Wikipedia page at the time of writing had him listed as a Liverpool player. Although the link to the page had him listed as an Arsenal player. Another season at Lille it is then.

We’ve also been linked with about as many other footballers as Danielle Lloyd, so it’s nice to know we still exist. In other news, I think most Arsenal fans are all just feeling a little bit deflated and hungover to get too excited about anything at the moment. Maybe a socking great piece of news will come along that fixes the illness before the Emirates Cup kicks off at the end of the month.

Still, this feeling is better than the all-out war that commenced among us at the end of last season. It feels like the poppies are starting to grow back on the battlefield. Hopefully they’ll be in full bloom by August and a couple of new boys will have also joined the ranks.

I’ll be here, blindly faithful, continuing the countdown for the socking great piece of news we all know is right around the corner. By the way, the vicious rain just stopped, burnt away by the hopeful sun that is now streaming (kinda) through my window. If that ain’t weather-related foreshadowing I don’t know what is…

1. Kal

Good stuff, Sian

Thanks Kal!

2. Shubham Goel

” I also suggest we start calling Manchester City our bin.” EPIC!

:) Thanks. And let’s!

3. kreel

Wenger Out

Some kind of suggestion for his answering machine greeting I assume.

• Adam

Or, is that just what he says when he leaves the room?

If he did this, I would love him even more than I thought possible.

• Girl Gunner

hahaha @Adam and Sian nice:)….. bout the blog, loved it and @Shubham Goel about your second comment, true dat, me 2!!!

• Tricia

Could you imagine the end of his press conferences if he ended them with that? I’d love it.

• Yinka

Haha. This!

4. Mel

Wenger Stays. You out :)
    Great article, Sian.

5. Shubham Goel

Its probably because of Arseblog and this blog that even I’ve not turned into a “Wenger Out” fan.

6. A2Gooner

I wonder if Mr. Dein is the owner of the yacht on which Arsene Wenger was vacationing. He is there in the last photo, but I suppose doing something as simple as checking the registration of a yacht is more than can be expected from one of Rupert Murdoch’s “newspapers”.

I’m with you on referring to MCFC as our bin. I can appreciate what both Kolo and Clichy provided to Arsenal, but their times have passed and they are off to prepare their retirement funds. As for Nasri and Cesc, they will stay or they will go. Arsenal has never been about a single player and (I hope) it will never be. Same goes for Wenger. The club is bigger than him, but no one can argue the impact he has made on the way the club is run, from top to bottom.

Keep up the good work.

7. Damien

Wenger In!!!

8. Damian

great piece..
    as far as im concerned nasri can go, not to MUFC or “our bin” but HELL….wenger needs to put on a bit more weight, cesc needs to be told hes going no-where and gervinho needs to come off the NHS’s waiting list quick time!!!

sadly…no mention of the board….:(

9. Iceman

Very well written and received! It is a shame that Arsenal have sort of fallen from grace – partly via mis-management and mostly via the disgusting media witch hunt that must be now into its third or fourth year of bile. Agree with the Cesc matter, as he was always going to return to mama Barca’s breast, but v disappointed with Nas, who seems to be being a tad greedy! Like all Gooners, I am hoping and praying for good transfer news soon and looking forward to seeing Benzema and Mata in the new shirt.

“t’s also so strange for me (or most of us) to have actually heard of a player we’re linked with, so I think the unneccessary excitement may stem in some way from that.”

God, it’s good to have you back.

I had a stupid smile spread over my face as the paragraphs went on, and a childish snigger at the Danielle Lloyd comment.

I’m with you on thinking players need to not let the door hit them on theior way out when they start saying they want to leave. Like when you’re little and you threaten to run away and your mum says “go on then, there’s the door” and you go “… oh……………….but muuum! Just let me have the Sugar Puffs!!!??” and cry and go to your room and then come back and say “sorry mum”. Nasri, you ain’t getting the Sugar Puffs, mate. Take it or leave it.

With Cesc, he has played his heart out for us for years and years and I think he deserves love and respect. He is one of the best players in the world and has never said a bad word about Arsenal, but he wants to go home and fair enough. I’d love to see him stay, but he is running himself into the ground with us and there is only so much mine and his hearts can take.

Great blog!!!

WHERE IS GERVINHO? We are slow motion. Wouldn’t be surprised if Liverpool whipped in and nicked him while we had our back turned preparing the thermometer to stick in his gob.

11. FunGunner

Very well written, very witty.

12. Eboue's homeboy

Good blog Sian agree with you on Cesc and Sammy boy. No ill feelings toward Cesc but Sammy boy is being a right prat especially talking about wanting to go win trophies as if he’s partly not to blame for us not winning any. Also it’s sad to still see Wenger haters out there after all he has done and they need to just give him a chance to sign someone because we’re only in July, long way to go yet.
    Hopefully it’s only a mata of time before we sign some-juan and if not we’ll still have Eboue!!!

13. mamie

Great to see you back Sian, and as usual a great blog too. Good to see so many non- hysterical comments as well, only so much venom a human being should have to take.
    Will be upset if Cesc goes, but he has earned the right to go with our best wishes. I do think Barca are treating Cesc with a lack of respect, and he deserves better. But then what do we really know about whats happening? It seems logical though that if they don’t flash the right amount of cash then they don’t get him.
    Nasri is another matter, I am tempted to lose the plot here, but silly as like everyone else don’t know the full story, so will save it for later (or not) !
    O lord let this endless speculation end up in some good news! Chin up, it will end soon. 31st July seeing Henry in action to look forward to, onwards and upwards !!

Yeehaaa! Siany’s back – to show us that all the garbage we’re getting at the moment is exactly that. Glad to see you back, bird.

Wish I could have seen you at the Spar in Ibiza… I could SO imagine you doing that! Great blog – good to have you back. If Cescy goes we should all be thankful that he was with us for so long and wish him well. I will never forget the goosebumps when we first saw him play against Rotherham – and I hope I never will.

16. shegunner

Nice to hear all this from you, Sian. Summer time blues, eh? But I did think the picture of the boss on the slide was awful. Really, it’s been decades since I’ve appeared on a water slide. Mustn’t scare the kiddies.

Wenger out (of the pool)!

xx

17. Tricia

I’m kinda sad about Clichy in the personal sense, because he seemed like a nice guy. But from a football stance, not so much. His errors were starting to cost us. I’m so tired of the Cesc and Nasri drama. More the Nasri stuff. I’ve become so used to the Cesc shit. Although those Barca players won’t have anything to talk about if/when Cesc moves. There will be an eerie silence around the Nou Camp.

Excellent blog, as per usual.

18. Tricia

P.S. I think you should start ending your blogs with: Sian out

BIG FAT YAY!!! Sian is back and so is (un)common sense, albeit with a splash of much needed humor what with all the Doom and Gloom that seems to be surrounding everything Arsenal these last few weeks. And she has a TAN!! Oooooooh nary naf :) Seriously good to have you back on the blogosphere as it was all starting to get too predictable without ya. Seems as though Arsenal fans are becoming more polarized every year. It is starting to feel like watching a really bad tennis match, between the AKB’s and Doom n’ Gloomers, insults taking place of the ball. Won’t even mention the media. So welcome back Sian and for God sake please, please, please make us smile again when we read something about our beloved Gunners. Some positivity and belief is badly needed and I cannot think of anyone better suited to such a task than you :)

20. theo van Nasrigas

Echoing irishgray – Welcome back Sian! We’ve been waiting and the wait was worth it!

I find all the transfer rumours and nonsense utterly boring if truth be told, but what DO you think of the Cesc business? Isn’t it time he just goes? I mean he’s really done his bit for us and I love him to pieces but let’s get on with it already.

Theodora out.

21. Baz lynagh

Lovin the blog,is it your own work or where do you get all your info/opinions…?keep em coming

Ha ha! Good to see you back and can’t wait for PROPER sport to start up again [with apologies to Giz],,,Viva the Glorious Game

Uncle Kev OUT !!!