Friday night quickie.

August 12, 2011 15 Comments by Sian

I realise it’s a Friday night and that most people are out having… you  know, lives and stuff, but well it’s the eve of the new season and that deserves to be documented. Play-time is over, children, the bell has been rung for the first time, we are all stood frozen to the spot waiting for the next bell to be rung so we can run (‘walk in an orderly fashion’) to our designated areas to line up neatly before being allowed into the new classroom, I mean, season (or was that just my school?)

Anyway, as per usual, it’s been a rollercoaster of a week. Today we received the news that Cesc had officially signed for Barcelona and was no longer an Arsenal player. Tears were shed, goodbyes were said, and the end of the era slammed shut. Until we realised there had been no official confirmation anywhere at all, besides the Spanish press (funny, they’re usually so reluctant to become involved in such matters?). And also except for the Twitter pages of future team mates Gerard Pique and Carles Puyol. Pique tweeted ‘Now we have you here!’ and Puyol tweeted ‘Welcome home, happy to have you here!’ along with some other indecipherable bollocks.

And this was the only confirmation. Later came the news that the two clubs had made a Non-Disclosure Agreement, which Pique/Puyol had violated by all but announcing it to the world without the consent of the clubs (this is all via @catalconspiracy on Twitter by the way).

Now, apparently, Arsenal could try to void the deal by using this against them, but it seems very unlikely. I hope it is unlikely, and also untrue. I think we’ve all reached the point of no return and Cesc’s never-ending silence on the matter (he does have a new Blackberry, though) says more than Gobshite and Flappytongue of Barcelona fame could ever say. Apparently, currently, Barcelona are waiting on the arrival of an email from the Arsenal, confirming the signing (via @josepcapdevila, also of Twitter). So you can only hope with all of your being that the boys in the office are playing Chair Olympics, decorating their notepads with highlighters and playing office cricket (balls of paper, bats of rulers, helmets of A4 paper boxes). In your own time, fellas.

There will be a separate blog on Cesc in the coming days  if and when the announcement is finally, officially, once and for all, made. It will be emotional and tear-stained and like a love letter to a lost boyfriend and I make no apologies for this.

Moving on to happier ground, the signing of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (‘The OC’) was announced in the week, and the official site has just announced that we’ve agreed terms for the signing of Joel Campbell. Ooh, and Ryo Miyaichi’s work permit was granted earlier this week. All in all a fairly busy week, and not all for the negative.

So, it’s Newcastle tomorrow, away, which should send a bolt of freezing lightning down your spine. A good start would be just the gin and tonic, but a loss would make the uneasy feeling around the club only more sicky-tummied. We have injuries, and a broken aura from the memories of last season, but it’s a new season and a new chapter and we shall have to wait and see. The long-awaited start to last season began with a 1-1 draw with Liverpool, so we certainly don’t always open with a cracker.

About a week ago, I wanted to vomit at the mere thought of football. Somehow in the past week, though, I’ve felt a bit better and am actually almost excited about tomorrow now. Of course, the fact we’re less than 24 hours away from the start of the season with no idea as to the whereabouts of our captain is frightening to say the least, but we will battle on against all odds.

Speaking of battles, it’s been a funny old week here in London Town. The images of our city (and country) beamed across the globe have been downright shameful, and it has been a scary and sad time. Sad of course being a hideous understatement given that there have been deaths in both days before and during the rioting. What has been heartwarming though, is that so many have worked to rectify the actions of so few. This website gives you a nice idea of the ways in which people have responded to the rioting. It’s funny, you can go from thinking humans are just shit to having a brand spanking new faith in humanity in mere minutes.

I’m sure there’s a way I could relate that back to the Arse, but that would be way patronising. No one likes a patroniser.

Anyway, football is finally back! Ready?

1. Damien

Barcelona ensuring that the final moments of this saga are still conducted with an utter lack of class. I am glad it’s coming to an end.

Anyway. Good luck to Fabregas, not his fault his future teammates are morons, and he has been a great player for us and treated us with more respect than certain other players have in the past and present. I hope he gets the reception he deserves if he should return with his new team.

2. Damien

Also I wish the season didn’t start yet. Probably because it seems too early and we left our business far too late.

3. Tricia

So ready for this Cesc saga to be over. I’ve had enough of Barcelona players opening their freaking mouths. Or I guess, never closing them. I wish him the best though.

Anyway, on to the important stuff, like our new season. Can I just say how excited I am for Ramsey to be back.

Looking forward to your future blogs on a new season.

4. AnnMS

Great blog. You made me smile at the end of a hell of a week. Loved the new nicknames of the Barca CBs. Will always think of them as that now. I will no doubt cry when I read your Cesc blog if/when the end finally comes. Here’s to the new season, whatever it throws our way. It ain’t being a Gooner but what doesn’t kill us makes use stronger!

5. MQ

Nice! See ya Cesc, Prima Donna club welcomes you with your bad hamstrings and all! Sian I feel keeping my fav gunner Nicky B is more vital than Cescy! Enjoy the season! Peace

6. irish gooner

i wont make the game 2morrow even though i have a ticket,,,,i pulled a tendon in my knee 2day on the 18th hole of all places!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. WrightyMighty

My fav gunner Nicky B?????? More vital than Cesc????????????

I suppose you think Squillaci is the next Beckenbauer?

In Arsene we Rust.

8. matt

So everythings rosy then…we have so far signed 3 young players who have potential and another unmade french league forward…… but the preseason showed we will still leak goals like a sieve……..

Whats the betting no siginings of any note are made with the money from the sales of fab & nasri, just as happened when we sold adebeyor & toure…..

5th place is looking a dream and as for winning a trophy …no bloody chance…couldn’t even win the emerates! FFS sack wenger before the plank does so much damage that it is irreversible……. remember no one is bigger than our club….. Arsenal were here and winning trophies long before wenger was born and we will be at the top and winning again when he js gone.!

• Little Dutch

Out of interest Matt, who would you bring in as manager?

9. swansway

Good article. I cant blame Cesc for wanting to leave.
    The Odds have shortened on Arsene losing his job , he has a lot to do to regain my trust. I am keeping the faith in my club, if not the manager.

10. Girl Gunner

Sian…nice post:)…Cesc is going/gone,we all knew this day would come,oh well life goes on!!(not trying to be brutal or anything,I know it’s a sensitive time for us gunners) Not sure if Nasri has left yet,but I guess he’s a paper chaser,going where the money is,again,life goes on!! To be honest,I expected to see the defence being strengthened a bit more,still holding the hope of a new,big,strong defender….I have to say I have my frustrations,but it’s always easier to watch from the outside!!
    Newcastle should get ready,bruised egos and broken hearts are comin to get even today!!

11. gunzblazing

arsene is refusimg to come ro terms with reality

12. AaronFeS