UCL: The OC strikes again.

September 29, 2011 16 Comments by Sian

Arsenal 2-1 Olympiacos

Three games in a row= consistency. All in different competitions= diversity. Eight goals= intensity. All in an N5 postcode= in-the-city. All in all= fabulosity!

A stupendous week’s work, chaps. Oh, don’t worry, I’m not that naive. Blackburn away showed us we do still very much have the proPENSITY (yesssssss!) to make a pig’s ear of things, but one step at a time now everyone.

Let’s be honest, it was not a classically attractive win. Though we looked as though we may have been on our way to a long-awaited pounding of the opposition around the 21 minute mark, there had to be a nice little dollop of Arsenal in there, just to ensure everyone got their money’s worth.

We had started out beautifully, with debutant Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (aka The OC [MINE]/The Ox/Ox Lad/Oxo Cube/Oxcham/AOC etc) scoring a fantastic goal in only the eighth minute. My geography A leveller sister also blessed him with the nickname ‘Ox-bow lake’ last night. I have no idea what one of those is either.

Anyway, it was a lovely goal from a lovely player, who also seems to be a quite lovely person too. Jubbly. Our second came in the 20th minute, when Andre Santos!!! (check his Twitter bio) struck a sweet one at quite an angle himself. Chamakh was involved, though largely unintentionally. Bless him, let’s give him a bit of praise here too. He’s struggling for confidence at the moment  – SOUND FAMILIAR?!?! - but he played really well last night. Goals aren’t the be all and end all for all players, but when your job is to score them, well… it’s handy to have them around. There are still a few grumbles when the Moroccan’s name is mentioned before a match, but he was very good last night.

Anyway, just seven minutes after our second, David Fuster halved our lead with a goal from a set piece. WHAT. Never. Surely not. Church elders, you on this? It was poor, to be honest. They did a short corner and the fella who picked it up was completely unmarked. The chap behind me no longer has an oesophagus, as it landed on the touchline as Olympiacos’s equaliser went in. Ooh, he was fuming.

My sister’s summary of it was much better than his swearified one though:

” God’s sake. We can’t defend from corners. We can’t score from corners. There are four of them on the pitch. They actually create the shape of the playing field. WE NEED TO LEARN THEM!”

A good point well made, Evie. Anyway, Pat Rice’s half time team talk must have done the trick because we came out after the break looking a lot more solid. Olympiacos still had chances, the best of which bounced off the crossbar, but it looked less like we were going to capitulate than… well, most other matches we’ve played in recent times. It is worth mentioning that besides their goal, there were other opportunities the visitors could have scored from. Early on (between our two goals, I think), Mikel ‘Hot Stuff’ Arteta made an incredible off-the-line block. It was fantastic that he’d made it, but the fact he had to make it was annoying.

By the end of the match, I think we’d got pretty much the perfect result. Check out my contribution to Arsenal.com’s Talking Heads page to see why. See how smoothly I gloatplugged that there? A gloatplug is like a humblebrag but different, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. I am not even sorry.

We now have four points in our group and are second in that group to Marseille, who beat Dortmund 3-0 last night. I thought Dortmund were supposed to be our toughest opposition?! *fret* Let’s not get too carried away, mind you. Remember we hammered both Shakhtar and Braga at home last year, before losing both of the return matches away. Didn’t we also lose to Olympiacos away the season before? I think we did. So there, make that a lesson learned better than the ones you learn in your corner classes, boys.

We’re not doing too shabbily in Europe, considering our crisis. Not doing quite as well as high-flyers Man City and Man Utd, but we’re not down and out just yet. Of course, Olympiacos at home is a different kettle of fish to Tottenham away on Sunday. Tottenham are favourites, which is fine by me, and RvP and Ramsey didn’t start the match yesterday in order to preserve them for the weekend. Also fine by me. We’ve not beaten Tottenham in the league since October 2009. That’s long, and needs to be shortened.

Finally, Arsenal have another little stunner to look forward to, after Jack’s missus gave birth to a little Jackling, Archie Jack Wilshere, earlier today. I know everyone says he’s really young, but if you were from where Jack or I am from, you’d see that it’s surprising that neither of us are grandparents by now.

Congratulations on the baby, Jack, congratulations on the goal, Alex, and bring on the Spuds!

1. Simon

LOVE EVERY WORD IN YOUR BRILLIANT BLOG. SMART, FUNNY, WITTY, ENTERTAINING, SPOT ON AND WRITTEN WITH THE EYES OF TRUE GOONER!

Aw thanks Simon!

2. frodo barnes

Chamakh will come good in time, we just need to remember he’s never going to be the guy to shoot on sight even with training.

Arteta’s block near gave me a heart attack so well done on him, i also giggled at wojciech kissing him on the side of the face after it (i know thats gonna make you jealous)

also this article put a smile on my face no end keep the good work up sian

Thanks Frodo! I did not see this kiss… Probably just as well :)

Perhaps next season we should opt for the oval shaped pitch.
    Another fine blog.

Need a laugh after a match, go to Siany Macalarny. That’s an order.

5. irishgary

Excellent as always Sian, both the post and Talking Heads. You really are shameless!! Unfortunately I did not get to watch the game but have managed to watch the highlights, looked a bit of a scrappy affair. Was delighted to see The OC(sorry not yours as I heard it before) and Santos get on the score sheet. As Frodo said(I never thought I would ever say that!!) Chamack will come good, his workrate is excellent and his runs/positioning are outstanding so given time he will start to knock them in.

3 wins in a row is something I can get used too :) Here’s hoping Shamrock Rovers pull off a shock win against the Spuds tonight. If they do it might knock their confidence a bit and that can only be good for us.

Hahaha self-promotion is underrated! Thanks for your consistently great comments… And I claimed The OC on Twitter about a year ago!

• irishgary

You are most welcome Sian and thank you for consistently great blogs :)

“And I claimed The OC on Twitter about a year ago!” – Meeeeowwww :)

6. irishgary

I like the idea of an oval shaped pitch!!

7. Padwoir

”If you were from where Jack or I am from, you’d see that it’s surprising that neither of us are grandparents by now”.

Aha ! I knew these were the wise words of a matriarch. Though in keeping with the knowledge I have garnered not to call the women my life (or not as the case may be) old before their time, I’ll settle for, nice summation, good stuff again Sian.

8. Padwoir

Oh and kudos on the Talking Heads, which I just went and read. Consider this ‘ /H’ the tipping of my hat.

9. North Bank Lew

As ever, the most entertaining of all Arsenal blogs. Witty AND perceptive. And kudos to your geographical A leveller sister for her cornering ability !

Your blog is always the perfect tonic for just about the ugliest 3 points you`ll ever see (NOT COMPLAINING!).

Bye the bye, what`s your take on the atmosphere at The Em lately. You are literally our girl on the ground, so do tell.

1NTTA

Sian, you are now my favourite Arsenal blogger and this is my favourite Arsenal blog. :D
    I can still remember the day I clicked on your blog link on newsnow.co.uk, the Arsenal were goiing through some tough times but even through all the doom and gloom, even from our own bloggers, ‘I believe in arsenal’ stood out.
    Your blogs are down to Earth, honest and funny, when I read them its like starting up a conversation in the Emirates with a fellow gooner during the match knowing you have the same common interest, Arsenal FC.
    Keep up the good work, and keep on telling it as it is like in your Talking Heads this week. ‘Thumbs Up’

I bloomin’ well love how you’re introduced on the Arsenal site. Superb stuff and good to see you on there, in the programmes etc etc, more of this would be excellent.

Nice to see you given Evie a similar chance here too, her insight felt a bit like Pat Rice’s to your Wenger.

Let’s keep winning!!!!!!!!!!!! Simple!