Rambo’s Really Late Rescue

October 20, 2011 11 Comments by Sian

OK, twice in two weeks WordPress has eaten my blog. It was a good blog too. I don’t know what its problem is but I hope it ROTS IN HELL IN PIECES.

Anyway, here’s a quick and shortened one. Which may or may not post. WE WON! Didn’t look like we were going to and it was only thanks to one Mr Aaron Ramsey who arrived on the pitch late and scored the only goal of the game. And created pretty much the only incident of the game too, if we’re honest. We’re now at the top of the group on seven points (Dortmund lost again last night – WTF?) It was an excellent win from an OK performance and the first time we’ve showed any real unity in ages. It was also
our first away clean sheet in the UCL in three years. Yikes.

I did the Arseblog liveblog last night, which you can find here: http://portal.arseblog.com/liveblog Oh yeah, WordPress also won’t let me embed links. If I could stand on WordPress’s head, I would. And I would jump. Oh, how I would jump.

Koscielny was undoubtedly our man of the match last night, but Mertesacker was solid too, and Jenkinson did well until he came off injured in the 60th minute. Aaron’s goal was set up by Djourou and the miscontrol of Gervinho too, so all in all a good day defensively. Walcott and Arshavin were passengers for much of the game and perhaps it’s slightly telling that we only got the goal when the substitution introducing Ramsey to the game was made.

We have Stoke next at home. Last season we beat them with a Sebastien Squillaci header the difference between the two sides. It’s been a great week, so nabbing the points at home, where we have a good record this season, would be just grand.

Finally, Fantastic News Of The Week has to go to the contract extension of Thomas Vermaelen. Or was it a new contract completely? Either way, he’s here for longer! I fail to see how this is anything other than great news. There were grumblings of ‘But he’s not fiiiiiiiiiit’, but I can guarantee that the mouths from which those grumblings came would have been the first to moan had he NOT re-signed. ‘Can’t even keep hold of injured players – sign of the times’ would have been the cry of the glum. In my personal opinion, an Arsenal with Thomas Vermaelen has a brighter future than an Arsenal without him.

He’s been terribly unlucky with injury since his first almost flawless season for the club and is undoubtedly our best defender. Add into the mix the fact he’s vice captain and a great mate of Robin, and it’s a bloody brilliant thing all round. Congrats Tommy V!

So, it’s been a good week. Let’s keep it going at home on Sunday, boys. Apologies for the shortness but the liveblog covers minute-by-minute happenings. It was longer, but WordPress is one hungry and inconvenient old git tonight. Up the Arse!

1. Padwoir
    2078 days ago

Well first off congrats on the LiveBlog last night, I didn’t read it at the time; concentrating as I was on watching the football and drinking beer, I know my limits and two things at once is more than enough, but I did read it right after and I agree wholeheartedly with one of your last comments, ‘ How heart does my heart feel’ .. yeah, mine felt considerably lighter last night, thankgod for last minute goals hey, about time we snatched a Victory like that as opposed to a draw/defeat from the jaws of one.
    Unlucky with the wordpress thingymajiggy, must be damnded frustrating..but you got some words out, and I am always happy to read them. Heres to better luck with that next time and a plump 3 points against the Orc Army on sunday. :)

• Padwoir
      2078 days ago

‘ How heart does my heart feel’

Doh! Well being its a heart, I bet very hearty. I meant of course light. Facepalm.

2075 days ago

Thanks, the liveblog was fun to do!

2. Girl Gunner
    2078 days ago

Good stuff right there sian…happy about ur liveblog, as our cable was out, the liveblog and Twitter were my main source of info about the match… Rambo and The Verminator have made me a very happy girl :)

2078 days ago

3 points!!! I could get used to this. I was not able to access your liveblog of the game Sian as I was hiking in the Redwoods just outside of San Francisco, pretty awesome in and of itself but made even more so upon arriving back in our hotel bar, exhausted, to the news of an Arsenal victory!! Quite a few beers were downed I can tell you, especially when I heard we scored in basically the last minute of the match. I had gotten used to the opposite for way too long. As Padwoir said bring on the Orc army, we are ready and waiting. It is about time we wiped the smirk off of Pulis’ ugly mug. Would love Aaron to score the winner(s) too, now wouldn’t that be awesome!? :) COYG!!!

2075 days ago

Jealous of your hiking, I really don’t think you missed much in comparison…!

2078 days ago

Great blog Sian :) (Worried your WordPress is on the take or has ulterior motives but hopefully it will sort itself out lol)

“Bring on the long-ball!”
    This, is what I hope Mertesacker is thinking and saying in anticipation of the Stoke game this Sunday. Watched the whole game on ITV 1, preparing myself for a draw when Rambo comes out of nowhere with the winner! Lost my voice at that moment, but it was worth it :p

Actually looking forward to the Stoke game for once, hopefully as IrishGary has said, Ramsey can score the winner to banish any hoodoo involving Stoke for Ramsey.
    COYG, let’s go for 3 points this Sunday and Carling Cup progression on Tuesday!

2075 days ago

Hi Alex, fingers crossed I have WordPress sorted now but we’ll see! Hope you enjoyed the Stoke match. :)

5. el bizarron
    2078 days ago

I loved your liveblog yesterday, Sian! Fun and youthful, it was a great escape from the commentary of us dodgy old codgers. I crapped out on streams after 30 mins so your liveblog was my main source. I hope Mr. Blogs lets you do another one in the future.

2075 days ago

Thank you for the lovely comment! I’m glad you enjoyed, and I’m glad it was useful.

2077 days ago

Good blogging, bird – and excellent Liveblogging last night. Ramalamadingdong really made my night when I was just beginning to feel pleased about a 0-0 draw. Paranoia must be really taking hold as I’m really starting to think ALL the media hate Arsenal., what with Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane openly stating their dislike of Arsene Wenger and our fans respectively. Then the twats commentating went from ‘this will be a tough game’ to ‘Arsenal will be disappointed that they haven’t come way with all three points’.