Many positives from a big negative.

November 30, 2011 31 Comments by Sian

Arsenal 0 – 1 Manchester City

Morning all,

Well, that’s that then. Our relationship with the Carling Cup is a funny one. It meant not much at all to us for the duration of last season, then we got to the final, and have been carrying the scars of ten seconds of mental FROM that final, ever since. What I’m basically saying, is that we owe the pointless cow nothing at all, and I’m glad we’re out. Not only do I not care for it in general, I really hate what she did to my team last year. And Wembley’s a dive with only bad memories as well, and February’s a stupid time for a final anyway.

THAT BEING SAID.

In spite of feeling that the Club had little or no pressure coming up against £38572849238596322995390038492,000,000,000 City last night, the further the match went on, the more I disregarded my dislike for the nasty little beast (the Cup, not the Frenchman with the questionable taste in underwear), and really started to feel that we could and should take something from the match. Our starting XI was:

Fabianski – Djourou-Koscielny-Squillaci-Miquel – Frimpong-Coquelin-Benayoun-Oxlade-Chamberlain – Park-Chamakh

So, from before KO the fact we knew RvP, Song, Vermaelen (on the bench), Ramsey, Santos and Arteta would be getting a rest, was a positive. And remains a positive, because Vermaelen only came on for about ten minutes yesterday and so will be almost as well rested as the other big guns. Anyway, on with the match. As we sat down, the newbie in the seat behind me went “Unless they’re totally shit, we’re completely fucked”. Which is always a great attitude to bring with you to a match. I don’t know about you, but I plan to now adopt this mindset in everything I do. Got a deadline? Ah bollocks, I’ll never make that, might not bother trying. Late for an appointment? Oh where is even the sense in TRYING to get there in time.

To his credit, he did get behind the team as much as most of the rest of the crowd did after that. In fact, when City eventually scored, he looked utterly bewildered, saying “But we’ve done everything right…” And we had. Our little kidlets had a brilliant first half, and the addition of Sergio Aguero about 15 minutes before the end of that, didn’t really seem to make much of a difference. We had more chances, probably the best of which came in the 27th minute when Oxlade-Chamberlain’s boot forced a save from Plantaris, or whatever he was called. In yesterday’s programme was an interview with Emmanuel Frimpong, where he said he thought that on their day, he and Francis Coquelin could play against anyone. And he was almost right. Both players were stunning yesterday, and clearly set for a future (if they want one) with the first team.

There were periods in which City were pressuring but that was about that. There are conflicting reports as to how many shots on target City had last night – it was either one or two – but, I care not enough to find out how many. There were very few though. Still, an improvement on last year’s total at the Emirates. Of course, they did score with one of their elusive shots on goal, which is always useful. In spite of beginning the second half of the match really well once again and forcing more saves from Vermaelen’s-Dodgy-Ankle-Goalkeeper-Name-Man, the decisive moment came in the 84th when Dzeko’s breakaway run from an Arsenal corner (honestly, only us) put the ball to Adam Johnson, who put it to Sergio Aguero, who put it beyond Fabianski’s grasp and into the net. A great finish from a great player, and you can’t help but feel it was avoidable.

The boss talked about naivete in conceding and is correct as always, but I still feel it was a performance to be proud of. We didn’t have to chase the game, we made it our own, and the boys who have yet to feature in an extensive run of Premiership matches showed they have what it takes. Benayoun was also excellent, and is a player I’m really beginning to love. Though he’s not been a starter throughout the season, he is one who will step up when he is needed to shoulder responsibility. Koscielny was once again fantastic, and my only real worry from the evening comes from him, actually. The others got their rest but he didn’t, and given how much he worked yesterday, he will probably need one. Never mind, he’ll get it in Greece when we field the under-9s I expect.

The OC was also magnif’, as was the combo of ‘CoqPong’ (not mine, but oh how it made me l-o-l), and Stranger Man Squillaci also had one of the best games he’s had with us. End of the day, we lost to a team who can afford to keep steam-rollering away at teams because they’re never going to run out of players. Ever. Samir Nasri was booed every single time he got the ball. Which meant about seven whole boos, the poor kitten. He even wanted to come off at one point, and Frimpong was at him like a baby pitbull all night. I’ve no doubt Nasri will prove himself at City (once he manages to get off the benchahahahahahahahahahahahah), but he’s a player who had three good months for us and we clearly didn’t miss him last night.

Chamakh could have been the hero by scoring in the final minute of time with a header, but he missed it which pretty much summed him up last night. I know we have to remember how much he carried us at the beginning of last season, but that’s a year ago now. I’m not saying let’s give up on him, but if it’s confidence that’s an issue, he needs to look around him at the younger players playing on in spite of their inexperience and rawness. Yesterday’s match really would have benefitted from a Bendtner, which was something widely agreed upon after kick-off yesterday. I’ll just be sitting here, smuggish.

Anyway overall, a great performance with a slightly disappointing outcome. The home crowd was also brilliant last night, and the moment’s appreciation for Gary Speed was well honoured by both sets of fans, in spite of having been a bit here, there and everywhere. I absolutely didn’t realise the away fans had the entire end of the stadium until they scored, mind you. I really hate it when fans of  teams we beat make a fuss about our fans being shit, so I’ll shut up here.

They were shit though.

Last week’s mid-week match brought us the joy of finding ourselves group leaders and into the knock-out rounds of the Champions League. This week our babies and/or fringe players were knocked out of the cup that began our slide into the pits of hell last season. Not QUITE so many positives to be taken from this week’s match, but still positives aplenty I’m sure you’ll agree. Wigan away next followed by Olympiacos away, followed by Everton at home on what will be the celebratory match for the 125th anniversary of the Club’s beginning. Forward Arsenal.

1. Kenny

What a shit article. This isn’t positivity. It’s delusion. He who loses must not be lauded. He who loses must be pelted with stones.

• Daniel

Brilliant. And he who writes a snide comment on a blog who’s name is Kenny must be thrown from a helicopter over shark infested waters.

Hahahahahaha!

• vaders_grandfather

Kenny,

Is it so difficult for you to understand that a bunch of teenagers (trained in the mystical art of Wengerball), quite literally, shut the door on a team of international players whose salary combined could probably save the entire North African continent from starvation:

Then you Sir, are the ball sweat on Gollum’s dingleberries and deserve to not only be thrown from a helicopter, but to also have a thousand paper cuts placed on your testicles and vinegar poured over them by john-fucking-terry.

Sian, I have a request to make. The next time you are at the hallowed ground of the Grove, is it possible for you to take video in the stadium, so supporters who are unable to visit (for whatever reason) can see what it’s like inside. Just not the loo’s.

Great blog and Thank you.

It is appreciated.

‘Dingleberries’ may have made my day. And of course, I’ll try to take one at the next match (Everton), as it’s the 125th anniversary celebration match as well.

• Alan

What a shit comment.

“RVP wasn’t moving enough last night, dragging defenders around like he should. Chamakh would have been a better option, IMO.”

That was a comment from me from the City 0-0 from last season you linked to in your last blog. I hope Chamakh saw that, poor sod. Oh how times have changed since then… Perhaps that what spurned RVP on to get fit again and fuck everyone up, then plot to bump into me just so he could smile, shake my hand, look me in the eyes and say “Chamakh?”. Thank me later, Robin.

I think it could be time up for Chamakh in Jan. I feel sad as he is one of those guys I always want to come good, but he’s had his chances now really. After a good start at the club, he’s dropped off too much. And he knows it. Last night he was coughing like he was ill, the ref had to speak to him a couple times. Poor sod.

Robin look angry when he failed to connect with that header.

“They were shit though.” LOL

Great blog, Sian, as Big Fuckin’ German. Just what I needed.

And that bloke behind you will always be a dickwad.

OH, and I agree with everything you said about the positives of the match. Absolutely loved watching those guys out there. Big futures ahead. We may have lost but there was only one team out there with their hearts in the right place for the right reasons. I take heart and hope from that.

OH NO…THEY’VE KILLED KENNY!!!

Great blog as ever,Siany.Not much to lose sleep over,the CC.
    I was playing on stage last night and a bloke leant out of the
    audience and shouted to me ‘Still 0-0…ten minutes to go’.During
    the next song,he threw his arms in the air and went ‘DAAARGH!!’
    so I guessed all was not well on his headphones.
    Back to more important trophies,eh?

5. Kenny

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Hope you guys enjoy your split residency on cloud cuckoo land and in this writers arse. Arsenal should never accept the role as plucky underdogs and if they do, they should stop charging the highest ticket prices in the land. Nasri is odiuos, but from a professional point of view you cant blame him for jumping ship.

Take care guys

• Anon

Oh, they’re charging the price too high? You’re not happy with that because the performance doesn’t match up? Well too bad.

“Boo hoo, I’m not a rich bloke like you, I can’t buy high ticket prices everyday!!”

Well guess what moron, here’s a solution: DON’T BUY THE TICKETS.

And nothing of value was lost.

• Daniel

Let’s get a couple things straight.

1) We have far bigger fish to fry so played a team full of youth for the CC in order to maintain winning in the prem.
      2) Nasri cost about £2m shy of our entire team last night. And from a “professional point of view”, this time last year he was the best player in the league. Now he is on the bench week-in week-out and not exactly in the France national team. OK, so he can now afford to get his chin tucked, but that’s it.
      3) Tickets were £20 last night. We are never a plucky underdog when our tickets are high but even in those games, the cheapest seat is cheaper tan, say, plucky underdogs Liverpool.
      4) Anway, how do you expect to compete with this kind of money that Citeh have???? By lowering ticket prices? Oh, yeah that’ll do it.
      5) Don’t mention arses again.

6. Kenny

We cant complain about Citeh’s spending then keep accepting exorbinate transfer fees for our players. W’;ve pocketed £70m from them in the last 3 years, more than we’ve made from Emirates and Nike combined. Maybe they should be our shirt sponsers.

And that was not a team of teenagers. 7 full internationals started and another 3 came off the bench. Arsenal can now only realistically win one trophy this season and you jokers are all celebrating.

Enjoy your delusion

Kenny, the URL should have been a clue sweetheart. If we’d gone on to WIN the Carling Cup, i guarantee tunes would have changed and it would have been “Celebrating the Carling Cup? What have we become?” Most of our first team yesterday was rested and our second string kept them out for 84 minutes, while providing all of the entertainment. We have bigger fish to fry, like finishing well in the league and who we draw in Europe next because oh by the way, we’re the only English team to have qualified for that thus far. That’s easily forgotten though, i know. There are plenty, oh PLENTY, PLE-HE-HE-HE-HENTY of miserable sod blogs in the Arsenal atmosphere (I’m sure you’re familiar)… So I’m happy for you to go there instead of here. You’ll never get anything but ‘delusion’ here, so why don’t you toddle off to the rest of them and leave here alone. The emails are clogging up my inbox.

Don’t like it? Don’t read it. But thanks for stopping by.

• Daniel

To be fair, I don’t think Wenger saw them too much as plucky underdogs, which showed in the performance out there and the narrow loss.

It happens in football.

If Van Persie would have played and got injured, you would be complaining about wasting players in the CC. It’s impossible to have the kind of depth in quality that Citeh have at this point in time because modern top class footballers don’t accept being on the bench unless you’re paying them 200-odd grand a week. And we don’t want to go down that road and end up with the kind of debts they are mounting along with hot water with FIFA Fair Play stuff. Perhaps we are growing that organically but for now, not even United – with all their trophies and success in recent years – can match that squad.

A squad full of unhappy, overpaid, mercenary posers, basically. No heart.

Our first team is as good as it has been fro a long while and if you don’t believe we can win the Champions League then I’m not rescuing you in a shark proof speedboat just yet.

Bring it on!

I have to admit I still have not gotten around to watching the match, was stuck in work til almost midnight. But as usual I loved the blog and it’s positivity(not delusion). Like most, if not all, those who come on here I do so due to the combination of Sian’s great writing and her positivity. Like Sian said there are plenty of negative blogs out there dedicated to The Arsenal, all of them written by Doomers, so Kenny do us all a favor and go haunt one or all of those.

Keep it up Sian, as always shining a light for the Arsenal.

Kenny, there’s a place for your elk at doomer sites like Le Grove etc (maybe you’ll be happy there if that’s even possible), but this is one that will always love the Arsenal :)

On the other hand SIan, I’d have the pleasure to see the mighty Arsenal win every single time I’ve seen them play live but if I had kept on my Carling CUp Run (3rd and 4th Round) by going to the Quarter-Final game on Tuesday, I would of been proud of the shift put in at 90 mins regardless of the result, The Ox, Frimpong (Utter Legend already) and Coquelin were excellent, couldn’t ask much more of them, I hope we sign Benayoun on permanently at the end of the season, I still think Park can be effective for us, feel less so for Chamakh and I want to keep the faith in Arshavin but when I see him playing at not his best, I think back to 4-4 at Anfield vs the ‘Pool and 2-1 at home versus B*rca, wondering where THAT Arshavin has gone sadly.

Did you get ‘CoqPong’ from Steve T in the drinks at Goonerholic, seen it there as well… :P

10. Damien

To be honest I am more concerned that we don’t have a song for Szczesny!

Got the flavour right again, Siany. I thought the boys deserved to win regardless of who we were playing. Unfortunately, we’ll always struggle to score with Chamakh in that kind of form.

12. Sonia

Love reading your blogs Sian and what a fab response to Kenny!! Well said that woman!! Keep the faith…..

13. kenny

I apologise for having the temerity of thinking your article was shit and having an opinion which is different to your brainwashed following. My bad. I was only here because I saw the link on arseblog’s twitter page and thought it would be an intersting and funny read. My bad again. Your a shit writer but you share that trait with 95% of the writers out there so you’ll have no problem finding a job writing a 200 word block for a two bit gossip mag. Good luck

It’s YOU’RE a shit writer, Ken boy. YOU’RE.

Thanks again.

14. Dan

^
    LOL disappointing, you know you’ve lost an argument when you bring out spell-checks.

• Patrick

It’s not spell check… it’s just improper grammar….

“your” – means something belongs to someone. eg. your comments are asinine.

“you’re” – is short for ‘you are’… eg. you’re an idiot.

Have a great day!

• Daniel

Dan, arguing with trolls keeps trolls alive, they thrive on it. Not rising to it is the best thing you can do and to be honest after that waste of a keyboard came on here and slagged off something that Sian cares lots about doing, full credit to her for not giving him the satisfaction. Like any good writer, she takes the (many) plaudits along with the (few) wankers in her stride. That’s the way I see it anyway.

15. vaders_grandfather

Kenny,

Do you have a link to your blog?

So that we are all able to bask in the effluent glow of your Pulitzer prize winning literature. That is sure to to give us a paradigm shift from delusion to reveal THE TRUTH about the fall of Arsenal and how we can never hope to win anything.

Then of course, you would be able to spout rhetorical and satirical messages of doom from your keyboard and dance around your hovel naked with tambourines and cymbals whilst shouting and writhing on the ground in the ecstasy of being touched by the spirit ol’ Harry himself.

You remind me of one of those people that give you those little booklets about the end of the world that are full of religious passages.

We tolerate you because it would be illegal to punch you in the face.

Nothing wrong with thinking that something is shit, but there are ways of going about it that do not invoke the idea that you are a massive goat qweef.

Have a nice day.

• Alan

Eloquently put, VG.

I think you’ve finally killed him.

16. Dan

ever thought that your is ” YOU R” with no space?
    that joys of trolling

17. Dan

the joys of trolling* whoops

Dan – I do not think anybody would ever think that as it is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have read on any blog, ever. Are you Kenny in disguise?