This post has issues.

December 6, 2011 11 Comments by Sian

There are a few different issues to be discussed in today’s blog post. They are as follows:

1. Last weekend’s match away to Wigan

2. Tonight’s match away to Olympiacos

3. The coming weekend’s match at home to Everton

4. Tomorrow night’s book launch away to the Tollington

5. Just HOW we’re going to get together the money to pay for the church roof’s repairs. The vicar keeps getting leaked on-

Ah. Wait. I see my agenda has been mixed up with the town hall’s. I do apologise. Anyhow, moving swiftly on to issue number one:

Wigan 0 – 4 Arsenal

Yes, an emphatic away win. Splendid! I may not be the person best equipped to comment on the match itself as I had to rely on the Twitter updates of the delightful @cristina0ana as I was not at the match, it was not on the television, I was in a car near the Tower of London and unable to watch a stream and my regular Twitter timeline wouldn’t flipping well load. But her updates were fairly comprehensive and I did catch Match of the Day later on that night, so I know that we won and that we won well. Goals from Mikel Arteta, Thomas Vermaelen, Gervinho and Robin van Persie ensured a much smoother ride than we’ve enjoyed at the DW Stadium in recent times. From what I understand, Wigan started well and we looked our usual wobbly selves. Arteta’s thirty yard thump calmed the nerves nicely, before Vermaelen doubled our lead with a header from a corner.

WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT??????? I know! A header? From a corner? Have they changed the rules? Is this now allowed? Apparently yes, it is allowed, and also apparently, other teams have been using this method to do goals and stuff for AGES now. In fact, Tommy V’s 29th minute goal was our first from a corner in 179 (one hundred and seventy nine) corners. Look, see, Orbinho says so. I don’t know stats, I did it as an extra GCSE at school and I don’t have a certificate for it so I think that means I failed it but Orbinho, Orbinho knows stats. Any road, in spite of it having been a fairly one-sided game (apparently) it was still an excellent result away, especially given our tendency to go a bit boobs up in that neck of the woods. We are now sitting pretty at fifth in the league, after Liverpool missed their chance to go above us on goal difference by losing to Fulham away yesterday. Obviously we sit pretty wherever we are, we’re just very attractive when we sit, but it was certainly a case of spots and bad hair days on an otherwise pretty head when we were slouching mannishly down in 17th earlier this season. Clearly, a 0-4 away win is not quite as impressive an achievement as a 3-0 home win against a 10-man Bolton team, Match of the Day, but we can only hope to emulate such incredible performances at some point in the far away future.

For now though, we have to contend with the pain in the bum second-rate competition in which only under-achieving panic-buying past-it teams manage to qualify for the knock-out rounds first and alone and Englishly, the Champions League. Which brings us swiftly onto issue 2.

Tonight’s match away to Olympiacos

Many a player will be a-rested tonight (hopefully not arrested, awkward), as Arsenal head to Greece to play the final group match of the 2011-2012 Champions League. The squad list looks a bit like this:

Arshavin, Benayoun, Chamakh, Coquelin, Djourou, Eastmond, Fabianski, Frimpong, Mannone, Miquel, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozyakup, Park, Rosicky, Santos, Squillaci, Vermaelen and Yennaris.

Well, it actually looks exactly like that, as it is that. You’ll know your Songs and your Ramseys and your Koscielnies and your van Persies are being rested given we’ve already qualified top, and the manager wanted to give the younger/less used players a chance after the unfair criticism levelled their way post-Expensives at home in the Carling Cup last week. Olympiacos still have a chance to qualify, so it’ll not be an easy match but it will be a match we will be able to enjoy in a more relaxed fashion than the usual “AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH A THROWWWW INNNNNN NOOOOOOOO” manner in which we ordinarily ‘enjoy’ these kind of games.

It will be nice if the boss leaves Vermaelen on the bench as he’s played a lot lately and is a VVVVVVVVVIB (very very very very very very very very very important Belgian), so perhaps a pairing of Squillaci and Djourou is more likely than any kind of vermination of the defensive kind this evening. The match will also mark Arsene Wenger’s 200th European match (did I get that right?) It seems as though this year is simply day after day of incredible milestones for him, so congratulations to you, ACEW. Here is, naturally, to many more.

Speaking of celebrations…

Arsenal’s next home match to Everton

… will mark 125 years of by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. The pre-match activities will evidently begin at 2.20pm GMT before a 3 o clock kick off and will involve a massive photo being taken of everyone, and also the presentation of a whole load of Arsenal legends on the pitch. Hopefully the matchday referee won’t decide to mark it with another magnificently offsidey cock-up like he did the last time Everton visited. I hope there will be an atmosphere fitting of such a remarkable anniversary for such a remarkable Club (I hate bias). Happy birthday baby!

Tomorrow’s book launch away to the Tollington

Tomorrow there will be a book launch away to the Tollington pub near the stadium. It’s a nice pub, and I’ve never been there before a match we didn’t win, and once I had well nice sausage and chips there. Anyway, tomorrow it’s the venue for Arseblog’s book launch of So Paddy Got Up. That link details the list of contributors to the book, and includes my name because I contributed. So, I’m 99.5% sure you’ll already know about this from Arseblog or from Twitter, but on the off-chance you’ve recently got your sight back or just learnt how to read, I’m telling you as well. Really looking forward to it. If you’re going, look out for me. I’ll probably be the one in the ridiculous shoes with a drink of some kind spilt all down my front.

That’s all for today, thanks for reading, see you again soon.

1. Gabi
    2031 days ago

Haha I love the title-URL combination, they might not match but they’re hilarious together!

Fantastic, comprehensive post as always Sian. I’m really excited to see how our reserves fare against the Greeks – I’m backing a strong Benayoun performance matched by Le Coq. Would be great if Chamakh could find the net too, but that might be a bit too romantic on my part. I think the Greeks will make this a really tough contest but I’m quietly confident our boys are up to the challenge.

Come on Arsenal!

2031 days ago

mmmmm sausages!

great job, Siany!

3. Red Arse
    2031 days ago

Amusing! I enjoyed reading your musings — felt a bit like listening to a mate (or mate-ess) indulging in a soliloquay down the pub.

So how did the vicar get on? :-)

4. richy1971
    2031 days ago

Good post like the start especially. Well the big name are rested tonight no surprise Wenger knows to keep these guys fit they have to have rest and with everton the weekend and city the following week these guys need to be as fresh as possible. I personally believe it worked well and Frimpong Coquelin looked good against an experienced city midfield with the ox rampaging on the wing. chamakh was unlucky not connect with his head in dying moments whilst city’s third choice keeper had a storming game denying park and the ox and a few other saves along the way. i would play benayoun on the other flank to give Santos a bit more protection the other three at back should be vermalean and miguel at centre back and Djourou right back the keeper is interesting but I would plump for mannone ahead of fabianski. though i expect the team to be fabianski, santos vermalean miguel Djourou Frimpong Rosicky Arshavin benayoun Ox-chamberlain Chamakh.I predict a difficult night for the team as the match is meaningless other than going through group stages unbeaten remember 2006. a 1-0 win at best is an achievement. Wish i could have gone tonight but cost around xmas was a definite no-no. The more interesting games though i hate to admit it will be chelsea and utd both may fail to qualify and that would be so funny. and lets remember its our 12th season through to second round and our 14th straight season in competition proper under Wenger.

2031 days ago

Great combination post Sian, shame today’s result and subsequent injuries put a downer on the day.
    I’d like to be at the Tollie and see you, Goonerholic, Blogs and the other contributors but I can’t as I’m a good few months off barely legal, nuff said.
    Enjoy the launch, looking forward to a mention about it in your next blog post :)

2031 days ago

Sian – Unfortunately I just read your post after watching the highlights of last nights game. Can someone please explain to me why Santos played? And why Don Vito did not just catch the lame ass shot that then turned out to be their second goal? And why their third goal was not ruled off-sdie as it certainly looked to be in the highlights? And why…..oh I just can’t be bothered as the game meant nothing. Which brings me nicely back to the Santos question. AARRRRRRGGGHHHHH :(

7. vaders_grandfather
    2031 days ago

Sian,

Last nights game was nothing short of the The Arsenal we all know and hate.

Does Arshavin want to be sold in January?; because if he does, the way he’s playing Wenger may have to give him to the RSPCA or the Red Cross because no one will want to buy him. Really disappointed in the man.

Nonetheless, loved the look of the Greek players when they learned that the Frenchies had won.

Why don’t you hold a competition to win a signed book from you? Just an idea.

Alex, I nearly choked on my coffee this morning. Where I am from in the local dialect Tollie is slang for willy.

Anyway, looking forward to the next blog post, great as always Sian.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

• Alex
      2031 days ago

Haha mate, I can see where you’re coming from with that :lol:
      Thanks for cheering up my migraine-infested morning, I had to stifle a laugh in class :P

2031 days ago

Good work,Siany.Have a great launch and congrats on being the
    first published author in the family!!

2029 days ago

Congratulations – I’ve been on here for two years supporting your writing – and it’s a pleasure to see your talent starting to come into its own. Just don’t forget us little people on your whirlwind book tours which are only a few Arsenal season away, I’m sure.

Also let us know your thoughts on the 125th celebrations and statue unveilings this weekend.

BTW, on the last match – I hate losing even when it doesn’t count, and I’ll give us a pass at the end of the day, but we didn’t look very good. Really looking forward to getting back on track with Everton.

Cheers,

1NTTA

2026 days ago

I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon, but if it did how could I ever forget 1NTTA? xx