TH12

January 6, 2012 19 Comments by Sian

Well, there’s no doubting we’ll all be hoping Arsene is planning to bolster his squad in more ways than simply the loan signing of a 34 year old former Arsenal player, but there’s a time and a place for that kind of talk and it’s not here today. Upon hearing the news a Thierry return was a possibility, there was a mixed reaction from most, including myself. There are many questions and queries as to what it will mean or what it will do for the team, but pretty much as soon as the chances went from ‘possible’ to ‘probable’, my ever-reigning heart took over from my rarely used brain.

As Thierry said himself in his Arsenal.com Arsenal Player interview today:

“When it comes to Arsenal my heart will always do the talking.”

Last day at Highbury

As both he and the manager have been at pains to stress since the rumours gathered speed, Thierry is not returning for The Thierry Show. I’m sure if and when he does get his time on the pitch, it will be a focal point of the match, but the bottom line is he’s being brought in on loan to help out the team. I’m not sure if you watched the Fulham match or not but if you did, you’ll have noticed: we could use a bit of that up front these days. By all accounts he is still stunning in training, and I’d be willing to bet he’s still faster than most of the men he’ll come up against over the next few weeks.

But no matter what he’ll be bringing us on the pitch, it’s important to remember what he offers off it as well. He is Thierry Henry. He was the idol of millions of children, most of whom are now currently in or around our starting line-up. Imagine being Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain or Carl Jenkinson today? It’s THIERRY BLOODY HENRY! I personally am thrilled to see him back, albeit temporarily. Of course he’s not the answer to all our problems, but again I’ll state: IT’S THIERRY BLOODY HENRY!

The man has won everything a human man can win, besides a Nobel Peace Prize and a Costa First Novel Award. He is a winner and a competitor and both of these are excellent attributes to be bringing to our little squad. Let’s not forget, also, that in the four years since he’s been gone, we’ve won ourselves an army of new fans who will have never got to see Titi play for the Arse for realz. I don’t think bringing back a player as loved and admired as him can be a bad thing at all and today I’m as smiley as can be. And no matter how the next couple of months go, I’m still planning on giving my first-born son the middle name Henry. They’ll all think it’s English Henry. Only I will know it’s the vastly superior French ‘Onnnn-ree’. Well, and all you lot now. But shh. Ah mon Dieu, just look at him. No wonder we were so good.

Swaggah. (photo courtesy of El Greco who took most of the photos that day!)

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go do more ugly-crying while watching videos of the day my second favourite Frenchman of all time, came home to the Arsenal.

Welcome back Thierry.

1. JMcClintock

I’m a 62-year old man and tears came to my eyes today at knowing Titi will be in the red and white again. Nothing else matters today.

Love this comment, have to share it on Twitter.

“He was the idol of millions of children, most of whom are now currently in or around our starting line-up. Imagine being Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain or Carl Jenkinson today? It’s THIERRY BLOODY HENRY!”

Egg. Zac. Lee.

This is a man who knows how to win… I imagine playing with him would be like when your mum or dad watched you at sports day when you were a nipper and it gave you that boost of adrenaline and confidence.

Magic man, couldn’t be happier. And I reckon he’ll score the goal of the season at some point.

I don’t care if he’s lost his amazing pace(which I doubt), I don’t care if he doesn’t score a single goal. I think just the fact he’s back in the dressing-room will give the team a lift. Can’t wait to see Thierry back in the Arsenal kit. So glad he’s come home!

• Daniel

Agreed! And like Wenger said, he’s still quick but maybe can’t do it… *quite* as often. ie. for 90 mins!

Happy (belated) new year, Treez!

• Treez

Same you you, Daniel. Hope we’ll catch up soon.

I’d go double negative to be able to see Thierry in the flesh in the red and white, his name and number on our away kit beckons for me, especially since I know although his body may, his heart will never leave the Arsenal :)

5. piken79

he can’t be any worse than Chamakh..i bet he score any chance he gets in front of goal

6. Kaimbaz

I hv great respect 4 hm & watevr he’ll do matters less coz he hz ored done his best 4 us, however, many pipo wil b surprisd wth wat he can stil do

7. Clock End Mike

Great little blog, Siany, you just hit the spot.

Like everyone else, I’m so excited today. Been waiting all week for the confirmation. I remember being thrilled by Brady, Sunderland, Smithy and Wrighty, but there was never anyone in living memory quite like Titi. We know he enjoys playing at the Grove, but this time it’ll be in a red shirt for the first time. Of course we don’t expect the miracles he used to perform week in week out, but wouldn’t it be enough for him just to inspire another unbeaten run, and maybe score a goal or two?

What are the chances now of dreamy Bobby Pires being lured back to run up and down the wing alongside him?

ps. And by the time Thierry’s due to leave us again, we’ll hopefully have another “new signing” taking his place in the team when Jack is back.

• Clock End Mike

Oops, of course, Titi was here for one season after we moved from Highbury. Forgot.

Yep, one season, but we all know Highbury was his real home. And Bobby is currently training at London Colney so. Stranger things have happened…

8. Mustard

Que Sera, Sera,
    Whatever will be, will be
    We’ve got back Thierry, Henry
    Que Sera, Sera

What will be, will be…

Dam it!! Does this mean I have to both forgive and forget THAT handball in Paris?

• Alan

What handball?!

• Alex

You might just have to mate ‘warm :)

• Irishgray

I just did :) Forgiven and forgotten Thierry, LEGEND!!!!!!

10. El Greco

I have until the end of Feb. (self-imposed deadline) to buy me an Arsenal shirt with Henry’s name and number…..and printed on a special 125 anniversary shirt, well, the significance is staggering!

Aha! Looks like I’m the first to say”He SCORED,he only went and bloody SCORED!!!’
    Lovely blog Siany,and so prescient.Here’s to some fun for the next
    couple of months.