Feed on this.

April 9, 2012 22 Comments by Sian

Arsenal 1 – 0 Manchester City

Such a strange season, this. It’s been billed (many times) as the worst season for Arsenal Football Club in the history of French managers, of Arsenal Football Club, of football in general, and of history itself. Truly. When the ancestors of yesteryear decided to start writing things down, thus creating history, they had in the back of their minds the tale of a little team up in North London. “Mwahahaha,” they chortled into their bushy bushy beards, their monocles popping out of their papery eye folds as they chattered. “Worst team in history, they will say! Power shifts, they will exclaim! Broken crests will litter the newspapers of our children’s futures, and headlines shall be twattersome! Ohhhh, what fun we have today created in this day, the day in which ‘history’ began!”

So what is odd to me is that in spite of the fact the movie poster for this season was “Come! Come watch the deserted ship be pants as its abandoned captain steers hopelessly against the tide screaming ‘Sacre bleu we are in the merde!’… it has somehow made me fonder of the Club than I have ever felt in all my (twenty-three) years. Perhaps the lowered expectation has helped. Perhaps the fact the chastened players kept their heads down, slightly embarrassed as we went through the worst of it, accepting our faults were part of their doing. (part of… PART of.)

Perhaps it is thanks to days like yesterday. OK, so last weekend was pants to the max. When two vertebrae in your team’s spine both have a crapper of a day, it’s difficult to stand up straight and go on to take anything from the game, but I guess we were unlikely to finish the season without dropping any points at all. In my head, I set us a little target before kick off at Anfield a few weeks back. You’ll be pleased to know we are still on track to meet our target. We’re allowed a small hiccup, but nothing bigger than a hiccup is allowed. Burping will be frowned upon.

Anyway, the result away at QPR had to be put to one side as we faced the hand that feeds us on Sunday afternoon. Manchester United had already beaten last week’s victors QPR earlier on and so City’s tails could have been very down or very up before kick off at the Emirates. Regardless, we had to not care about City. I don’t personally give a crap who wins the league, because neither of the Manchesters winning it will shake off the Chelsea, the Tottenham and the Newcastle currently clawing their ways up our back with their scabby little ogre fingers. We had to just play, play well, and hope that it would be enough to nick three points and a bit of breathing space in third.

And what a game it was! In keeping with today’s theme of ‘pants’, I think it’s fair to say City were largely ‘pants,’ but sadly our greatness yesterday seems to have been overshadowed by the supposed ‘Crisis’ at City and the antics of some berk with a really daft barnet. Contrary to the delightful Sun’s player ratings this morning, I thought Yossi Benayoun was fairly fantastic throughout, glaring miss in front of goal aside. They called him ‘lightweight in every sense of the word’ but that is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. He, Rosicky, Arteta and Song were as tenacious as little nipping puppies throughout the entire match. City created basically nothing, while we had absolutely no luck whatsoever.

Scoring Scoring Robin was denied by the back of Thomas Vermaelen’s head – which, frankly, just goes to show how incredible Thomas Vermaelen is, in my opinion. Van Persie has been unstoppable this season. Put Tommy in front of him, however, and he’s stoppable from point blank range. You jeal, Liverpool? That’s four games and no goal for our Robin now, incidentally… luxury player.

We should have been a man up when Mario Balotelli decided he had beef with Alex Song’s knee. I thought it was too high up to have been a leg breaker but then realised it was high enough to have bent his leg backwards. Then I tasted my lunch again. I’ve never understood the fascination with that tool. He’s a talented player, for sure, but all this ‘Word is, Mario’s been popping into primary schools and teaching kids their nine times table using just an apple and a piece of string’ tosh has been boring bollocks for a long time now. Blaming him for yesterday though is a bit harsh. He was a loose cannon yesterday, but his teammates hardly set the world alight.

Anyway, back to us and Robin hit the post and had a goal disallowed in the second half. Shortly after, Walcott, Vermaelen AND Benayoun ALL had the opportunity to put us ahead but somehow managed not to. Thomas’s shot skittered across goal, while Yossi’s went wayward. I truly don’t understand how it stayed out. We had to wait until the 87th minute to finally put us one step ahead of them and it came from the best looking Spaniard we know. As Mr. Arseblog said this morning, it was reminiscent of Bac’s goal versus the Spuds with its palpable air of ‘Oh sweet baby JESUS, let me have a go you useless spanners!’ And have a go he did. For a team often afraid to whack it from outside the area, he didn’t half put his foot through it as it sailed in to Joe Hart’s left. Fina-bloody-lly.

Our fans began to ‘Poznan’ (shittest celebration of all the celebrations, by the way) as I screamed to all who’d listen (no one) “THEY MIGHT STILL EQUALISE!” But in fairness, I was wrong and it really didn’t look like they were ever going to score. It was an absolutely one hundred per cent deserved victory and the sweetest scoreline of them all. Of course, Aaron Ramsey could have doubled it just a few minutes later had he not gone for the drop goal instead, but the most important part of that miss is that it didn’t really matter. Had that happened at 0-0, I’m sure he’d have needed security. Largely from his captain.

It was another great day to be had in the season of doom and gloom. I honestly don’t care that we helped United out by winning or that we’ve probably kept Samir ‘I couldn’t possibly be part of the problem here’ Nasri’s trophy hunt going for one more season. I wasn’t even that bothered by seeing my leader Patrick Vieira wearing a City crest. Yesterday was a brilliant victory from a team of fellas who’ve managed to keep the light shining in spite of the fact the lightbulb has been covered in layer upon layer of horse shit from day one. Still six matches to go, but if we manage to finish third having limped in to fourth last year and having lost three of our best players to different teams and/or injury over the summer, it would be the best day yet in a season of unexpectedly bloody amazing days. And sooooo funny as well.

Finally, I think the crowd helped a bit yesterday. The players had 90% of it down anyway, but that little vocal push seemed to help as well. This time last season our fans were at war with the players. Now we’re sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. What a difference a year makes.

Such a pleasure to read after so many days without. Good luck with your last days undergraduate studies. Trust me, it will be all worthwhile, especially with your kind of talent. Tell us of your post-degree celebrations, assuming you can remember then better than I can!

Read the post as I was watching Fulham pour it on in the pouring rain in West London, proving that when it rains – it pours. Spuds losing, Chelsea being held to a point in the final minutes and a thumping win against blue Manchester for us. From such acorns mighty oaks shall grow.

As for Balotelli – he is not even an acorn. A pine nut maybe, with a huge accent on the nut. Seriously, he has serious talent, but the lad must sort himself out before he hurts somebody or himself. All that talent and charisma with waay too much attitude and baggage. Thanks and praises that both Song and Sagna seem alright.

Finally, I am so proud of our club. Eight of nine now, and I think we can finish up in style. Bring on Wolves and as always…COYG!!!

Cheers all.

• 1NilToTheArsenal

I forgot to add, it should have been 3 or 4-nil, but I’ll take that eponymous scoreline anytime. WHAT’S MY NAME? 1-NIL-TO-THE-ARSENAL!!!!!

2. mickw

good article,

nice style too!

Another performance that was up to the standard of your blog, Siany. How I love it when players like Rosicky, Benayoun and, especially, Arteta show guts and sheer hard work to match their ball-playing skills like they did on Sunday.

4. FB

Blog-wise, I’ve consumed allsorts this weekend, as I seem to always do when The Arsenal win, but this was by far the smartest, funniest and overall the best written piece of all.

Methinks I’ll be coming back for more here… thanks Sian!

5. NYC Gooner

You’re a definite discovery!! I’m hooked!!!!!

6. Goonergal

Fantasmical post as usual ~ can’t stop Im going danicng with Kosseilny ~ and to think if some had had their way I would be danicng with Scot (scotty) Parker or whathisface Samba brrrrrr sends a shiver down my spine ~ I know we can’t win anything for heart and spirit this season ~ but if there was an award it would have Arsenal engraved in big bold capitals

7. g clarke

good post do you read arseal truth where is this phico comiming from

8. gunnie

Nice blog! eep it going.
    And I hope I do not get: access denied, as I get on arsenal truth, when I posted a comment. What a psycho..

9. The Waffle Mafia

Great blog as always, Sian.

I especially liked the part about the midfielders as pups nipping at City’s heels. It reminded me of how I nicknamed the 05-06 team that made the CL finals “Thierry and the Terriers” because they conjured images of a pack of dogs flying through the woods on the hunt for a fox, with Henry as the lead dog and the one who lead the charge for goal.

I haven’t yet decided on a nickname for this team yet, but as your article suggested “My Favorite Arsenal Squad Ever” is certainly in the running.

10. crazeemunky

“Van Persie has been unstoppable this season. Put Tommy in front of him, however, and he’s stoppable from point blank range.”

wordsmith

Beautiful words. Nothing to add…. apart from the fact that I saw Mikel’s tummy. So pleased our current, fantastic number 8 showed our horrible, slag of an ex-number 8 the way it’s done and in *some* style.

You had me at “papery” :) #howDOESshedoit?

12. olumide

Wow!!!! What an article ???? I must confess I’ll die for Arsenal, I so much love Red and White, Arsenal my HEARTBEAT!!!!

Great comments about Sian, but I’m slightly confused… Did you NOT see Mikel’s stomach at the game, or was the image wiped from your brain as a uncontrollable grin latched itself onto your face? ;)

Great blog post, I agree with The Waffle Mafia about the pups at heels :) and crazeemunky’s ‘wordsmith’ as a defining word for you, but my favourite part of the blog was “we faced the hand that feeds us on Sunday afternoon.” :D
    Big grin when I read that, especially since Arteta got the winner, that proves that we gained £15 million on Na$ri’s sale along with a Team Player who loves the club.

Keep up the good work, I’m anticipating your blogs more than ever before now, and good luck with your studies :)

14. El Greco

Great display, great win and a great Blog. Wow, three ‘greats’ in the same sentence!
    Sorry not to have been there but thank God is was shown live on Sky. But guess what? I was out during the game, and did I record it? Hell, no – not now that I have a superstition I didn’t know existed!
    And, yes, I did watch the extended highlights later in the evening:-)
    Here’s to an equally good display against Wolves!

Terrific blog.Siany.Good to see lots of new names above who have seen the light!…Wordsmith and Jones.

16. MQ

Awesome blog, I believe you need sit down with Aaron Ramsey and inspire him a little! I also believe Ozaykup and Gnarby from reserves should be playing ahead of Ramsey and no finish Gervihno? Cheers gorgeous!

17. vaders_grandfather

Good Evening Fellow Readers,

I have been smiling since that Arteta laser beam.

That is all.

18. Joss Bennett

Couldn’t agree more with every tiniest detail of the blog, Sian.

One thing in particular I’d like to pick up on is that you’re spot on – even in the 87th minute with almost 10 minutes to go (inc. 5 mins ET), and the title resting on them winning, City never looked like scoring.

Which of course is entirely down to how utterly brilliant we were!

Sian for MOTD!

Haha just seen this comment, thanks Joss!

Sian – Nice writing as always :) Have to say it has been a while since we had a 1-0 win over a top team. But like you said they never really looked dangerous, I guess Na$ri will have to put his trophy polish away again for another season. Watching ther Wolves match on FSC, we really are a different with both of our full-backs fit and playing. I think if we had Santos and Sagna in January, this league would look a lot different. Ah well, always next year.

By the way Sian, when you go to New Orleans, make sure to get some beignets and cafe’ au lait at Cafe Du Monde. They really are as good as people claim. :)

Duly noted! Thanks for the recommendation. :)