Meeting Bobby

May 16, 2012 19 Comments by Sian

I went to the Emirates yesterday, and this happened.

'Hey Bobby, what's the French for OMG!!!?'

Absolutely dancing on the inside.

Most obvious questions out the way first: yes, he is that good-looking and yes, he is much taller than anticipated. It was the final of the Indesit Football Talents competition, in which people who had been selected for their ballin’ skillz played in a little tournament on the Emirates pitch in a vast range of different weather conditions. We had brilliant sunshine, to heaving rain, to actual hailstones. What a merry month of May we are having this year.

I was invited by Jess from We Are Social. Jess told me he would be there, but I didn’t think he would… you know, be there be there. Like actually be THERE, next to ME, at a table in the DIAMOND CLUB, TALKING. Bobby was there as the coach of the Arsenal team (the other teams were Gianfranco Zola’s PSG, Jean-Pierre Papin’s Shakhtar Donetsk and Daniele Massaro’s AC Milan.) Milan won and Arsenal’s stand-out player was a girl whose name I forget, but she had really nice hair. Just like Bobby.

A group of us (myself, MarrsioFootballTheGoonerholic and keshani17 among others) got to chat to him after Arsenal had played their games (Arsenal came fourth, bad times.) Jess had met him before and was so ridiculously cool with him, it was unreal. I was less cool, but I still got to sit next to him, so whatev. Anyway, I hadn’t thought of it as being a blogging thing really, until he pulled up a chair next to me, so I didn’t record our conversation. However, these were the highlights:

- His least favourite player to have played against was Gary Neville

- Arsene Wenger is his ‘second Dad’ and that while he might be a great coach, as a person he is ‘amazing.’

- He is not thinking about going into football management at the moment, but if he were to do so, he’d prefer to be second in command

- He played five-a-side with Jens Lehmann recently, and he (Jens) was not very good

- … he has however forgiven him for the Champions League final in 2006

We also spoke about the past weekend of football and his happiness for Patrick. He said he hoped RvP stays. He said that more than anything, Arsenal was always like a family and that it still is. I asked him what he thought of Tottenham. While I wasn’t exactly expecting the response we get from Carl Jenkinson during a warm-up, I also wasn’t expecting this: “I love Tottenham… Tottenham are my team.” So shocked was I that Bobby had to comfort me (he touched my arm, it was beautiful.) It later transpired that the reason for this was that he always scored against them. And just as quickly, Bobby was forgiven.

He posed for photographs with all of us, and also had many taken of him inadvertently… I am getting the camera on my phone ready in the second one, not rudely texting or Tweeting! Once the tournament had finished, we all went on a tour of the stadium. It was an absolutely brilliant day, and thank you so much to Jess and We Are Social for inviting me. I never thought I’d be sitting around having a laugh with anyone who played in our Invincibles side, like, ever… maybe in ten years’ time I’ll be kicking back reminiscing with Thierry or Thomas. A girl can dream.

Here are some photos of the highlights of the day. Part Two of the End of Season blogs will be up soon, but I felt Bobby more important.

Very dangerous entry to the pitch!

The teams lining up

Posh seats! So comfy, still cold

Zola, quite a vocal coach

I think we should keep the leaves on this, it's beautiful

Had to be done

You can read the (much more in-depth and eloquent) views of both TheGoonerholic and MarrsioFootball in the hyperlinks I’ve just made out of their Twitter names in this sentence. :D

1. Kal

So I click on the URL in your tweet, and the jealousy comes rising to the surface…again!

What a great guy!

So great, and so happy to discover that!

2. FunGunner

Sian. I am so envious I want to scratch your eyes out. Seriously. (Unless any lawyers are reading, in which case I am just kidding.)

“Part Two of the End of Season blogs will be up soon, but I felt Bobby more important.”
    Agree, feeling Bobby is more important.

Thanks for sharing and I officially hate you now! :)

Not gonna lie, I am kinda jealous of myself ;)

3. JV Mauer

Oh, mon Dieu!

4. ron

i think im rather envious of mr pires ;o)

5. simon

Nice company! I have to say I adore your blog. So different than all the other ones. Why do I live so far from London? Don’t want it to sound rude but looking at these stunning pictures I’ve got to admit I’d love to marry you. Don’t be scared. I’m not crazy and live far away :)

Haha, not rude and not scared, thanks! :)

6. Rob Marrs

Lovely to meet you yesterday, Sian.

Here’s my take on matters…

R

7. Akhil Vyas

Great blog and I’m so happy for you. You really deserve it! glad it happened to you! good work!

8. Zana

I am so jealous right now. Loved your take on it, he touched your arm, I would have died on the spot. Oh our Bobby is magical.

Lucky girl! Glad you enjoyed :D

9. Tacklr

Oh man, what a moment! You really look great in the first photo.

Would like to meet the whole invincibles one day, but since I don’t live anywhere near their places, its difficult.

I met Kolo in Egypt during the African Cup of Nations of Africa in Africa, back in 2006 when Ivory Coast beat Cameroon on penalties in the quarter-finals. I happened to be in Egypt for no apparent reason and me and my friends were lucky to meet one of the invincibles, Kolo, for the first time, although the bad moment was to see a happy Drogba.

You can So put on your CV that you are Bobby’s PA, fending off any questions about *that* penalty with Titi or his carbon footprint travelling between Highbury and Villa Park everyday. That’s what those photos look like – I don’t say his girlfriend because he already has one and that’s me, in my dreams.

Absolutely chuffed for you, and pleased to say you don’t look completely out of your depth as I probably would next to him. In fact, he’s probably writing his blog about meeting a top notch blogger with nicer hair than him as I type.

11. elkieno

Wow, you are beautiful (live in Sydney, relax now) if I was Bobby I would have defo have charged you for photos….
    A date!!!!
    Mwahahah!!!
    I read a story of a young Gooner being told about some low key charity match that Bobby was playing at (fulham?). Anyway He went down to watch and hopefully meet him. He got his wish and got autographed posters, scarf photos etc. He even said that when Bobby scored he would stand up and sing his song out loud. Ppl thought he was some fruit cake, but Bobby heard and that’s how he got to meet him…. Was a good story just like urs, we imagine that when meeting our heroes we’ll say this and that, but when it comes to it, we are all mumbles and nonsense!
    Well done to you lucky thang!!

12. Uncle Mike

You know how Arsebloogers writes *swoon* or “dreamy” when talking about Pires? He’s not the dreamiest one in that photo.

But then, can you lob Schmeichel? He can.

SO lucky. Both of you.

Well get you Sian! Meeting Bobby in the Diamond Club no less, and he touched your arm an’ all! ;)

In the first picture, you and him look so cute together, but in the second picture you look like the epitome of.. wait for it… Cool B-)

I like how the Invincibles are suddenly making themselves more accessible, last week today Sol came to my College for an interview & before and after was dishing out handshakes & pictures (Proud Recipient of Both :P ) and like someone mentioned above I read the story about the Gooner my age who met Bobby at Craven Cottage during a Charity Game at Half-Time, its a lovely inadvertent Charm Offensive, stirring up memories and feelings bubbling below the surface in Arsenal Fans :’)

And nice picture with Thomas’ shirt, you and him having a chat could indeed happen in 10 years or so, if you’re lucky enough :)

14. Michael Keshani

Was lovely to meet you all, good to see everyone enjoyed it as much as I did!
    My own offering http://t.co/EpdTpOU0

15. funny texts to send to a girl

It’s an amazing piece of writing designed for
    all the web visitors; they will obtain advantage from it I am sure.

One Trackback

1. [...] of season blog and this, the (hopefully) marginally more cheery one, but there was a small case of dashing Frenchman to attend to in the meantime. We are now back on track, and ready to look back on the beautiful [...]